UCLA baseball loses series in final game against Stanford

Freshman closer Brian Gadsby and the Bruins let up four runs in the ninth inning Saturday against Stanford in an 8-2 loss. (Daniel Alcazar/Photo Editor)

By Matt Joye

Coach John Savage said the story of Saturday’s game was not told in the box score.

UCLA had just one fielding error in the game, but that didn’t illustrate how well – or not well – the Bruins were playing defensively.

“That’s the most deceiving thing, really: the non-plays (on defense) that are made, and there’s no errors,” Savage said. “(But) there’s 90 feet given out.”

One of the “non-plays” Savage referred to was a ninth-inning fielding decision made by freshman closer Brian Gadsby. It turned out to be a make-or-break play for UCLA (13-16, 5-7 Pac-12) in its rubber match with Stanford (17-9, 6-3).

With a runner on second base and nobody out, Gadbsy tried to field a sacrifice bunt and throw out the lead runner heading for third. His throw to third base was late, making it a first-and-third situation with no outs, as opposed to just having a runner on third base with one out.

“We’ve got to make an out on that play,” Savage said. “Even if we throw an out, get an out, runner at third. (If) that run scores, it’s 5-2, it’s still a ballgame.”

Gadbsy’s gaffe left the door wide open for the Cardinal to make it a big inning. They did just that, pounding the Bruins for four runs in the final frame. By the time UCLA came to bat in the ninth, the stands were nearly empty; the chances for a second-straight comeback win and a momentum-building series were dashed.

“It’s unfortunate because I thought we played pretty good this weekend,” said Savage, whose team finished 1-2 in the Stanford series. “I’m disappointed not in the guys, just disappointed how (the series) finished, really.”

The ninth-inning collapse notwithstanding, UCLA put itself in a position to win Saturday’s game. Freshman righty Kyle Molnar put up a solid outing, allowing two earned runs over 5.2 innings. His two inherited runners in the sixth inning went on to score, however, putting Stanford ahead 4-2.

“I like the way our starters are pitching,” Savage said. “I like our bullpen a little bit. (The) bullpen failed today, but the bullpen looked pretty good.

Offensively, the Bruins had seven hits and drew seven walks, but they once again struggled to produce with runners on base.

By game’s end, UCLA was just 3-for-16 hitting in situations with runners on base. Similarly, the Bruins were 0-for-14 batting with runners on base in Tuesday’s 4-1 loss to Cal State Northridge.

“We have very capable guys,” Savage said. “Some guys, clearly, are having rough years.”

Left fielder Brett Stephens, batting in the six hole Saturday, went 0-for-2 with an RBI on a sac fly. The junior now has just three hits in his last 29 at-bats, dropping his average to .163 on the year.

On the brighter side for UCLA’s offense, sophomore first baseman Sean Bouchard continued his hot streak at the plate Saturday. After going 2-for-4 with two singles and a walk Saturday, Bouchard finished 5-for-11 in the Stanford series.

“The positives from this weekend, for sure, one of them is Bouchard – the development into the hitter we thought he could be,” Savage said. “We thought (he) could take a significant jump, and he has. I’m excited about that.”

Two Bruins return from injury

Two formerly injured Bruins – redshirt junior set-up man Tucker Forbes and freshman catcher Jake Hirabayashi – both returned to action Saturday. Both played well.

Forbes, in his first appearance since injuring his oblique against USC on March 6, pitched the eighth inning without allowing a run. He struggled with his command a little bit, getting behind 2-0 to each of the first three batters he faced, but allowed just one to reach base.

“I thought he felt for it a little bit early; he let a couple fastballs go,” Savage said. “(But) I thought he looked pretty good.”

Hirabayashi, in his first appearance since being hit in the head by two Brett Cumberland backswings on April 1 against Cal, had his best hitting night all season. The freshman tallied two hits in four at-bats, driving in the Bruins’ first run of the game in the second inning.

Shortstop potentially out for the year

Sophomore Nick Valaika was supposed to be the Bruins’ starting shortstop this year, after he returned from a hamate bone injury. Now it looks like he might not play at all this season.

Savage said after Saturday’s game that doctors recently discovered some more problematic cartilage in Valaika’s injured hand. Originally, the medical diagnosis said Valaika would be back by March 1.

“I don’t know if they saw it (in the X-ray) the first time or not, but it’s there now,” Savage said. “Unfortunately for him and for this team, it doesn’t look like he’s back in the near future.”

Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.