Women’s water polo goalie rivalry leads to growth, improvement

Freshman goalkeeper Carlee Kapana (pictured) and senior goalkeeper Alex Musselman combine to make an impressive duo. Even though both have seen a considerable amount of playing time this season, they are still in constant competition to start the big games. (Owen Emerson/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Kelsey Angus

Walk into Spieker Aquatics Center on any given game day for No. 2 UCLA women’s water polo, and it’s almost guaranteed to see the Bruin goalie make a seemingly impossible save. Whether the opposing team tries to skip the ball into the goal or shoot it in the top corner, she will likely be in the right place at the right time.

It seems to be not a question of whether there will be a strong presence in the goal, but whether that presence will be from senior Alex Musselman or freshman Carlee Kapana.

As only one goalie can play at a time, it is typical for only one person to see pool time, especially in highly contested matchups. Last year, then-redshirt senior Sami Hill started 28 of the Bruins’ 29 games, and the year before she started all 32 games.

This year, however, things are different as Musselman and Kapana fight for the starting spot. So far, each have seen minutes in 11 of the team’s 17 games against ranked opponents.

“I think they’re both good goalies and they both have very positive attributes, but it’s a competition as far as who’s going to be the starting goalie in the bigger games,” said coach Brandon Brooks. “I’ve played them to see who is playing better, who’s growing more.”

Brooks has a difficult task each game, as both goalies consistently come out ready to compete. On the season, Musselman has 90 saves and Kapana has 114, and both boast a goals-against average below 6.

“It’s really nice to know that we can interchange the two and there won’t be a drop off because they’re both so even,” said sophomore attacker Devin Grab.

Although the goalies are both able to compete at a similar, elite level, each player benefits the team through her unique set of skills.

“It’s great because both goalies have different strengths, so I think having both of them at practice really challenges the team and forces us to work on different things because their strengths are so different,” said assistant coach Molly Cahill.

Kapana’s strength as a goalie comes from her raw athleticism and talent that help to make up for her inexperience. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Musselman, in her fourth season on the team, brings leadership, enthusiasm and communication to the team.

Musselman can consistently be heard from the sideline directing teammates and shouting advice, and she sees the role of being a communicator as essential to her position.

“Communication definitely has to start with one person, and then it starts to trickle around,” Musselman said. “It’s about being comfortable with each other, so I think that once it starts everyone starts doing it.”

Along with providing the team with options and depth, Brooks hopes that the competition between Musselman and Kapana will give them an opportunity to improve and learn from each other as well.

“I hope it helps them push themselves,” Brooks said. “Someone who is a competitor, if it’s really apparent that they’re competing with someone, they are going to push themselves harder.”

Kelsey Angus | Alumna
Angus joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2016 and contributed until she graduated in 2018. She was an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the men's volleyball, women's volleyball, gymnastics, women's water polo and swim and dive beats.