Bruins ranked in upcoming Pacific Coast Men’s Doubles Championship

(Kathy Chen/Daily bruin)

Men's tennis

Pacific Coast Doubles Championship
Thursday - Sunday

La Jolla, CA

By Hanson Wang

Four UCLA men’s doubles pairs will be competing this weekend at the 127th Annual Pacific Coast Men’s Doubles Tennis Championship in La Jolla, California.

The doubles-only tournament features 128 teams consisting of collegiate players from around the country, as well as several professional players and college coaches. UCLA usually sends four teams each year, with junior Joe Di Giulio and senior Karue Sell reaching the semifinals last year.

One player to keep an eye on is sophomore Austin Rapp, who will be making his return from injury to team up with junior Gage Brymer once again.

Rapp sprained his left ankle in UCLA’s semifinal match at the 2016 ITA Division I National Men’s Team Indoor Championship and missed the subsequent three dual matches. Before the injury, Rapp was the team’s No. 6 singles player, and he and Brymer were the No. 3 doubles team, forming the nation’s No. 60 duo. In Rapp’s absence, freshman Max Cressy stepped up in his doubles spot and Di Giulio competed at No. 6 singles.

The seeded UCLA teams are Di Giulio and Sell at No. 4, followed by sophomore Martin Redlicki and Cressy at No. 7. Also competing for UCLA are sophomore Logan Staggs and redshirt senior Ryoto Tachi.

The tournament runs Thursday to Saturday at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club.

Hanson Wang | Alumnus
Wang joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until he graduated in 2019. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's soccer, men's tennis and women's tennis beats.