Bruins battle for top spot as women’s golf team sweeps tournament

Senior Louise Ridderström shot a 5-under par 67 at the Bruin Wave Invitational to force a playoff between teammate junior Bronte Law. (UCLA Athletics)

By Cole Baldecchi

The UCLA women’s golf team made good distance between it and the rest of the competition.

At the Bruin Wave Invitational, co-hosted with Pepperdine University, the No. 5 Bruins won with a team score of +4, 14 strokes under second-placed Arizona State, and 20-strokes under third-placed Cal. The team had the lead after the first day and never surrendered it during the last round of play.

Even with a lead of 14 strokes, the Bruins found some drama with each other on the course. Junior Bronte Law and senior Louise Ridderström went to a playoff in the final round to determine a winner for individual play. The playoff went two holes. It was Ridderström who won the tournament with the help of a clutch chip shot on the green out of a sand bunker.

Ridderström was initially five shots back from the leader, fellow Bruin Lilia Vu, at the beginning of play Monday. After making a birdie on her first hole of the final round, Ridderström continued to make birdies on holes 10, 11 and 14. After sinking a 15-foot putt on the last hole, she retired with a 67 for the round, the best in the tournament.

Bronte started Monday with a birdie as well on the opening hole. Her streak continued on holes 9-11, where she made three straight birdies. After bogeying on holes 13 and 17, she ended the round tied with Ridderström, forcing a playoff.

Freshman Lilia Vu posted her best finish of her career, tying for fifth-place with a +1 score, birdying the holes 7 and 11. Freshman Bethany Wu also posted a respectable +9 score, good for eighteenth in the field.

Up next on the Bruin’s schedule is San Diego State’s March Mayhem Tournament, March 21-23, at The Farms Course in Rancho Santa Fe, California.

Cole Baldecchi | Alumnus
Baldecchi joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2015 and contributed until 2016. He spent time on the men's golf, women's golf and cross country beats.