ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – Feb. 26

By Jodutt Basrawi

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. Board of Directors meetings are monthly and open to the public.

Executive reports

• Executive director Bob Williams said sales in January were sluggish, with bad weather likely responsible for the lower sale numbers.
  • Williams said end-of-year projections are in the making and that surpluses are likely.
  • Williams said he ordered bigger dividers, walls and new carpeting to be installed for the Bruin Reflection Space.
  • Williams said three or four pieces of student art will be installed in Ackerman Union and Kerckhoff Hall.
  • Student Union director Roy Champawat said Carol Block, associate of the chancellor, is running a program that gifts reproductions of student art to notable visitors and dignitaries.
  • Williams said the 24-hour open study at Ackerman and Kerckhoff will begin on March 9 and end March 18.
  • Williams said T-shirt sales so far have had the same sales rates as last year.
  • Williams said sound dampening panels, large TV projections, new chairs and new carpeting will be installed in the Global Viewpoint Lounge.
  • Williams said the Ackerman loading dock project is still underway.
  • Williams said quotes on the Kerckhoff Moat Project will be finalized soon.
  • Williams said the two offices needed for the future pharmacy in Ackerman will cost around $160,000.
  • Williams said three videos were submitted for the composting video contest.
  • Williams said there will be a budget meeting on May 6 that will discuss the future increase in minimum wage.
  • Williams said eCommerce sales have slowed down with the tapering of the sports season.
  • Williams said international licensing has not brought in strong profits for the past few months.
  • Williams said the increase in student enrollment for next year has been factored into budget assumptions.
  • Williams said he anticipates comfortable profits as the month closes.

Committee reports

• The finance committee approved a $200,000 loan deferment for UCLA Student Media.
  • The finance committee approved the tentative budget assumptions for the next school year.

Action items

• The board approved the 2016-2017 budget assumptions.
  • The board approved UCLA Student Media loan deferment of $200,000.

Compiled by Jodutt Basrawi, Bruin contributor.

Jodutt Basrawi