LGBT Campus Resource Center discusses findings of external review

Students attended a town hall the LGBT Campus Resource Center hosted in the Students Activities Center on Thursday after a committee investigated ways the center can improve. (Diana Celeste Luna/Daily Bruin)

By Deanna Necula

LGBT Campus Resource Center officials and members of the UCLA community discussed the initial findings of an external investigation intended to suggest additional resources for LGBT individuals on campus.

Raja Bhattar, director of the UCLA Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Campus Resource Center, said the External Review Committee was tasked with assessing how the center has impacted the campus community and suggesting improvements the center can make to better support LGBT individuals.

The External Review Committee consists of four experts that make up UCLA’s “Comparison 8” universities, four private and four public schools that compare data with UCLA.

Bhattar said the center hosted Thursday’s town hall so students, staff, faculty and alumni could review and learn from the center’s first full program review, which began in August 2014. He added student affairs departments, such as UCLA Recreation and UCLA Athletics, launch external investigations every six years.

At the event, held at the Student Activities Center, the committee discussed ways to bring external, LA-wide assistance and alumni networking opportunities to the LGBT community on campus.

Bhattar said they hope the center can create focus groups in the spring, that will follow suggestions from the committee and town hall attendees.

The focus groups will aim to gather more information on LGBT individuals’ concerns about their experiences at UCLA, they added.

Bhattar said they hope the “LGBTQ Town Hall” event encouraged the UCLA community to promote LGBT inclusivity on campus and improve the outlook for LGBT students over the next few years.

(The event) is part of a much larger, systemic (effort) to make sure all the visions and voices of our community are heard,” Bhattar said.

Compiled by Deanna Necula, Bruin contributor.

Deanna Necula