Women’s tennis ace Catherine Harrison passes down two-handed legacy

Senior Catherine Harrison is one of two UCLA players to utilize a two-handed forehand, a rarity in tennis. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Kyle Cardoza

As soon as she learned to walk, Catherine Harrison was on the tennis court rallying against her parents. She was too small, though, to swing the racket with one hand, so instead she used two.

Now a UCLA senior and the No. 18 singles player in the nation, Harrison continues to swing her forehand using two hands – a rarity in tennis. But she’s not the only player on the women’s tennis team who wields the unorthodox stroke.

Freshman Alaina Miller was 5 years old when she was introduced to the two-handed forehand by her tennis coach and, just like Harrison, she has maintained a commitment to the uncommon shot style.

“I was a shrimp when I was younger, so my coach said I couldn’t use a one-handed forehand and it kind of just stuck,” Miller said. “By the time I could use the one-handed forehand, I was so comfortable with (the two-handed stroke) and it was so unique, I didn’t want to change it.”

In the history of professional women’s tennis, only a few players have achieved significant success with a two-handed forehand.

International Tennis Hall of Famer Monica Seles is the most notable, having used the stroke on her way to nine Grand Slam titles. More recently, Marion Bartoli claimed the Wimbledon singles championship in 2013 and Peng Shuai reached the U.S. Open semifinal in 2014.

But nearly all players opt for the more traditional one-handed stroke, which allows them to adjust to high bounces and cover the forehand side of the court more easily, said coach Stella Sampras Webster.

“With one hand, you are a little more free,” Sampras Webster said. “(Two-handed players) need to do a little bit more coming forward and slicing and have to be quick getting over to the right side.”

The two-handed forehand does offer some advantages, though, providing extra power or helping a player hit the ball cross-court, Harrison said.

“With a one-handed forehand, you only have one arm’s worth of power and are more susceptible to the ball dictating your racket,” Harrison said. “But with a two-handed forehand you are more stable and with that extra hand, you can really get around (the ball) and take it early and hit it more diagonally.”

Harrison and Miller, who display the more aggressive play style, have enjoyed plenty of success early on this season, combining to lose only four sets in singles matches this season. Both players cited the two-handed forehand as their greatest weapon on the court.

“These two were coached really well,” Sampras Webster said. “They know what they can and can’t do with the two-hander and both of them can certainly hit winners from anywhere on the court.”

Harrison said she was excited when she found out she could pass the proverbial two-handed torch over to Miller.

“Watching her play is my favorite thing to do because she just goes after it so fearlessly and her movement is so aggressive to the ball,” Harrison said. “I’m going to be graduating but there is still going to be a little ‘me’ on the team.”

Kyle Cardoza | Alumnus
Cardoza joined the Bruin as a junior in 2015 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He spent time on the baseball, women's soccer and women's tennis beats.