USAC recap – Jan. 26

By Melody Teng

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff Hall 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Appointments

• The council voted unanimously to allocate 88 percent of its surplus, or $32,000, to the Contingency Programming Fund.
  • The council voted unanimously to allocate 12 percent of its surplus, or $4,000, into the Contingency Capital Items Fund.
  • The council withdrew $3,600 from its endowment fund and transferred it into Contingency Programming Fund in a 12-1-0 vote.
  • The council voted to create the position of internship engagement committee chair.
  • The council appointed Divya Sharma, a third-year global studies student, to the Transportation Services Advisory Board.
  • The council appointed Kennan Fine, a second-year economics student, to the John Wooden Board of Governors, a committee that is in charge of managing the John Wooden Center and other UCLA Recreation facilities.
  • The council approved an allocation of $2,800 from the Contingency Programming Fund.
  • The council voted unanimously to approve the language of a referendum that will extend the Green Initiative Fund’s $4.80 student fee indefinitely. The referendum will be on the ballot in the upcoming election.

Officer and member reports

• President Heather Rosen said her office is looking for a campus location for the student-run grocery store. She added the grocery store would provide fresh produce at a more affordable price than off-campus grocery stores, such as Ralphs.
  • Internal Vice President Heather Hourdequin said she was disappointed some council members did not participate in events during the USAC retreat.
  • Hourdequin added she met with Nancy Greenstein, director of the Police Community Services Bureau, to discuss lighting issues in Westwood and implementing a diversity training for police officers.
  • External Vice President Zach Helder said AB 1711, introduced by Assemblymen Jose Medina and Kevin McCarthy, would cap nonresident enrollment at 15.5 percent. Helder said he thinks the bill would hurt the University of California’s budget and could lead to an increase in tuition.
  • Student Wellness Commissioner Marvin Chen said students are confused about the peer counseling program that will begin in the spring quarter. Chen said peer counseling does not mean students will take on the roles of professional counselors, but will be taught the skills counselors have.

Compiled by Melody Teng, Bruin contributor.

Melody Teng