UC mandates sexual harassment e-course for faculty

By Shreya Maskara

University of California faculty and supervisors will be required to take an online course intended to inform them about new sexual harassment and assault policies.

By the end of January, the UC will launch two new e-courses that will quiz faculty members on the systemwide changes in sexual assault investigation policies, said UC spokesperson Rebecca Trounson.

On Jan. 1, the UC implemented a new systemwide procedure that requires Title IX offices, rather than dean of students offices, to investigate reports of sexual assault.

Trounson added the course will include practice questions that aim to ensure employees understand the new legal requirements of the policy, including a new addition to employee responsibilities. According to the new definition of a responsible employee, all UC staff members are required to notify the Title IX office if they receive any information about a student who has experienced sexual harassment or violence.

The course will also include scenario-based questions about appropriate conduct. Trounson added the courses will be specific to employees’ positions.

Chrissy Keenan, co-director of the Bruin Consent Coalition and fourth-year human biology and society student, said she thinks the course will help members of staff and faculty understand the new resources and policy.

“They don’t know that under the new policy they are mandated reporters,” she said. “You can’t know that without education.”

Keenan added she thinks in-person training would be better, but the number of faculty and staff members at UCLA makes it almost impossible to conduct in-person training for everyone.

Trounson added the UC will launch another e-course for UC employees about new sexual violence and harassment policies later this year.

Compiled by Shreya Maskara, Bruin senior staff, and Madeleine Pauker, Bruin contributor.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor