Saturday, May 18, 2024

Bruins bear down to dam Beavers’ offense in 82-73 win

Junior guard Noah Allen was the first guard off the bench for the UCLA men’s basketball team Wednesday night. Coach Steve Alford inserted Allen primarily for his defense. (Jintak Han/Daily Bruin)

By Matt Joye

CORVALLIS, Ore. — Junior guard Isaac Hamilton entered Wednesday’s game against Oregon State with some extra incentive.

It’s not that he wanted to beat the Beavers particularly more than any other team on the schedule. It’s just that he didn’t want to lose again – because he feared the consequences.

“We don’t want to do that again, because those were some brutal practices (last week),” Hamilton said.

The practices Hamilton referenced were the first two after the 89-75 loss to USC last Wednesday. Those practices were a “hammering,” as coach Steve Alford called it – an attempt to light the fire under a previously lackluster defensive team.

“Thursday they got off. (On) Friday and Saturday, we got on them really good,” Alford said. “I mean it was two hours and 15 (minutes), two hours and 20 minutes. And we don’t ever go that long at this time of the year.”

The extra work paid off, at least on Wednesday. UCLA put up its best defensive effort in Pac-12 play, allowing 73 points, 13 less than the Bruins’ season average for points allowed.

“I think it’s been all over everywhere – that we’re giving up 86 points a game,” Alford said. “So they know that. It’s starting to affect them and hurt them a little bit, and that’s good.”

Alford still wanted to see a little bit more from his defense. He said the Bruins played solid for 36 minutes, not the full 40.

“I think we gave up 17 in the last four minutes, playing the wonderful NFL protect defense, (or) prevent defense,” Alford said.

UCLA’s defense had a new look to it in more ways that one against Oregon State. Not only did the Bruins play with more intensity, but they also played with a slightly different bench rotation.

Junior guard Noah Allen – who averages just 5.9 minutes per game – was the first guard off the bench. The reason? Defense.

“We challenged our guys (in practice), and we needed to have a spark off our bench defensively,” Alford said. “And (Allen) gave us that.”

Allen drew praise from sophomore center Thomas Welsh for his effort and commitment in practice over the past week.

“He was fighting all week long, and just giving everything he’s got on the defensive side,” Welsh said. “Because that’s what coach wants, really.”

As Allen and sophomore forward G.G. Goloman saw an uptick in minutes, sophomore forward Jonah Bolden was cast off into the shadows. Bolden played a season-low four minutes against the Beavers, registering just one rebound and no shot attempts.

After the game, Alford didn’t comment on why Bolden wasn’t playing, but he did mention why Goloman was.

“It was great to have G.G. in there, because G.G. gives us the presence of a year ago,” Alford said of Golomon, who sat out for the first 17 games this year with an injured leg. “He understands how to play. He’s always in the right position defensively.”

Now, UCLA will look to retain its newfound defensive intensity against Oregon on Saturday. The Bruins will be aiming for their first Pac-12 road sweep of the Steve Alford era.

“I think if we keep teams in that 65 and fewer (range), I think we have a good chance of winning,” Hamilton said.

And likely preventing another “brutal” practice.

Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.