New school of engineering dean shares plans for future

Jayathi Murthy, the recently appointed dean of the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science, announced upcoming changes to the school Tuesday. (Alejandra Reyes/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Chandini Soni

The Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science plans to increase enrollment by about 1,000 students and recruit 50 new faculty within the next five to 10 years, in accordance with the University of California’s initiative to expand enrollment.

Jayathi Murthy, the first female dean of the school of engineering, announced Tuesday she also plans to increase enrollment of underrepresented minority students and participation in online programs. Murthy began her term as dean in January.

She added she wants to expand research and develop relationships with local community colleges and high schools, to increase the number of women and students from underrepresented backgrounds.

Murthy said there were about two female students in her college class of 250 students. About 18 percent of women were receiving bachelor’s degrees in engineering in 2011, according to the American Society for Engineering Education.

To increase gender diversity in the school, Murthy said she aims to create a program for women in engineering to provide a support network, provide internships and increase engagement with industry representatives.

Murthy said she hopes to continue working with UCLA students in the classroom.

“As a faculty member, you have an opportunity to create new knowledge,” she said.

Compiled by Chandini Soni, Bruin senior staff.

Chandini Soni