ASUCLA Services Committee recap – Jan. 15

By Helen Immerso

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. Board of Directors meetings are monthly and open to the public.

Executive and committee reports

• Executive director Bob Williams said restaurant sales have been low in January because of the weather.
  • Williams said the winning T-shirt from the T-shirt design contest is on sale. Forty-eight shirts have been sold so far, Williams said. The UCLA store will also be having a Valentine’s Day sale starting on Feb. 11 called #OneSweetSale, Williams added.
  • Williams said the loading dock tunnel in Ackerman Union will undergo construction beginning Feb. 2.
  • Williams said that there is still a search for solutions for Southern Lights. Williams added water has been building up on the floors and that they are looking for the sources of the leak.
  • Special Projects director Karen Noh said that the contracts of SaveME, a kiosk where student can purchase batteries or exchange batteries for new ones, will be expiring in August. The association is planning on introducing a new kiosk which sells a portable charger called the FuelRod, Noh added.
  • Noh said that the FuelRod costs $20 and students can receive $10 if they return the charger. There currently are kiosks in five dorms and the student union, added Noh.
  • Noh said $4,000 will be allocated to the association’s interaction fund which supports student programming.

Prayer Space Proposal

• Student Union director Roy Champawat said the prayer space is projected to open to students next week after the space has been cleaned. There will be a sign put up stating that the pool table on the third floor of Ackerman will be removed, Williams added.

Sustainability Update

• Noh said the LuValle Commons composting bins have arrived and have been set-up. However, it is too early to estimate if the compost has a lot of contamination, Noh added.

Reclaim the Union

• Undergraduate student officer Ruhi Patil said there will be an open forum in the future for students to learn more about ASUCLA.

Compiled by Helen Immerso, Bruin contributor.

Helen Immerso