USAC recap – Jan. 5

By Abhishek Shetty

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every week on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Special presentations

• Finance Committee Chair Stephanie Wong presented the Contingency Quarterly Report. About 140 groups applied to the Contingency Programming Fund during fall quarter, and each group received an average allocation of $198.

Agenda Items

• The
    council unanimously approved an allocation of $7,805 from the Contingency
    Programming Fund.

Officer Reports

• President
    Heather Rosen said she worked with the Council of Student Body
    Presidents on the Statement of Principles Against Intolerance during winter break. Rosen added the Council said conversations about academic freedom and freedom of speech are important but should not overshadow the way students are treated on campuses.
  • Academic
    Affairs Commissioner Trent Kajikawa said he met with the deans of life sciences and physical sciences about concerns students have, such as larger
    classes and the increase in the number of engineering students.
  • Community Service Commissioner Zack Dameron said he met with Janina Montero, vice chancellor for student affairs, to discuss a scholarship CSC awards for leadership and service. Dameron said CSC would give $250 to the recipient’s student group, and $1,000 to the student.

Compiled by Abhishek Shetty, Bruin contributor.

Abhishek Shetty | Opinion staff columnist
Shetty is a senior staffer in the Opinion section and a staff representative on the Daily Bruin Editorial Board. He was an assistant Opinion editor in the 2017-2018 school year and previously contributed as an opinion columnist. He writes about topics including the undergraduate student government and the UCLA administration.