UCLA women’s volleyball breezes through first round of NCAA Tournament

By camayak

The UCLA women’s volleyball team glided through the first round of the NCAA Tournament with a straight-set win over the Lipscomb Bisons on Friday.

The match was pretty typical for the No. 14 Bruins. The team continued to be successful with several hitters, as all three starting outside hitters had double-digit kills.

The only anomalous part of the game was the appearance of redshirt sophomore setter Ryann Chandler, who has been out for half the season with injuries.

With the team up two sets to none, Chandler entered the third set with a 17-10 lead, and did not record an error to close out the match.

“She’s been great in practice and I wanted to get her back in the saddle a little bit,” said coach Michael Sealy. “She’s cleared to play. If we need her she can go.”

While Chandler’s return could signal some uncertainty about whether freshman Zana Muno is still the team’s primary setter, the three starting outside hitter spots have been finalized. Junior Jordan Anderson, sophomore Reily Buechler and redshirt sophomore Jessyka Ngauamo have all locked down their starting spots.

“That’s definitely who we’re going with to start matches,” Sealy said. “If we need more size we’ve got (redshirt junior Haley) Lawless, if we need more speed (freshman) Kyra (Rogers) can go.”

UCLA won’t have much time to celebrate the win. They play Michigan on Saturday for a chance to play No. 3 seed Texas in the third round Dec. 11 in Austin, Texas.

“Luckily tonight we didn’t expend too much energy,” Sealy said. “We’re going to go watch video right now and put a game plan in, and that’s it.”

Compiled by David Gottlieb, Bruin Sports reporter.

camayak