ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – Dec. 4

By Helen Immerso

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. Board of Directors meetings are monthly and open to the public.

Executive and committee reports

• Executive director Bob Williams said the composting bins at Lu Valle Commons are a success. Students are reading the signs and making a conscious effort to put their trash in the correct bins, Williams added.
  • Williams said the textbook store will do price matches on textbooks for the winter quarter.
  • Williams said that the association will subsidize the cost of Student Media’s facilities fee because a portion of the space Student Media occupies will be rented out to UCLA Student Affairs to create a transfer student center.

October financial report

• Williams said that textbook sales outperformed the budget but said that sales in computers went down.
  • Williams said that they need to build up their cash reserve because the association can easily lose $2 million to $3 million.

November financial report

• Williams said BearWear sales dropped because of low attendance at football games and the warm weather.
  • Graduate representative C.J. Gabbe said that Southern Lights has been closed down since Nov. 12 because of plumbing issues.

December financial report

• Williams said that BearWear sales were continuing to drop because of football game losses.

Construction

• A motion was made to convert the third-floor lounge in Ackerman into a nondenominational prayer room for six months as a pilot program.
  • Roy Champawat, the director of the student union, said the association could convert the room with a budget of under $5,000 and said that students should be able to use the space by January.

Compiled by Helen Immerso, Bruin contributor.
Helen Immerso