UCLA grad student remembered for passion for physics, adventurous spirit

Michael Meyers, a graduate student in physics, was found dead Nov. 21 after an avalanche hit a mountain in the Sierra Nevada range. (Courtesy of David Meyers)

By Shreya Maskara and Jillian Frankel

Michael Meyers climbed mountains, ran and biked to enjoy the solitude of nature in his free time, following 70-hour work weeks as a teaching assistant.

“He was a country boy at heart, so every now and then he needed to get out to the mountains because he loved the peace of mind it gave him,” said David Meyers, Michael’s father.

Meyers, a graduate student in physics who was reported missing in early November, was found dead Nov. 21 after an avalanche hit a mountain in the Sierra Nevada range where he was hiking.

His family reported him missing after he did not return for his studies on Nov. 9. They last heard from him on Nov. 8, David Meyers said.

Meyers was pursuing a doctoral degree in theoretical physics after completing his masters in physics at UCLA. He grew up in Minnesota and completed his undergraduate education at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa.

“In our family, beyond basic physics, we hadn’t shown much interest in the subject,” David Meyers said. “But Michael was different.”

After participating in a regional physics competition in high school, Michael’s fascination with the subject continued to grow, David Meyers said.

“His typical work day while pursuing his Ph.D. at UCLA was about 12 to 15 hours, but he loved every second of it,” David Meyers said.

Bo Qin, a third-year business economics and psychology student, said he was enrolled in Physics 1A: “Mechanics” when he met Meyers, who was a teaching assistant for the class.

Qin said Meyers, his favorite TA, would often come into class and joke with students about the distinguishable tan lines he had gotten from hiking over the weekend.

He added the course was especially difficult for students who had not previously studied physics because the professor taught the subject from an astronomical perspective. Meyers tried to be as approachable as possible so students would feel comfortable asking difficult questions.

“He would make some jokes and ask if people had questions,” Qin said. “Most are physics (students) and have never learned astronomy.”

Qin said he found himself returning to Meyers’ office hours each week and Meyers’ office was consistently full of students who eagerly awaited their turn to talk to him.

“He was very intelligent and always positive,” Qin said. “I really struggled with physics … (but) he helped me a lot with math and helped a lot of South Campus majors survive (the class). He brought a lot of positivity into my life.”

Qin said he was shocked when he discovered Meyers had died because he didn’t believe it could ever happen to such an experienced hiker.

“It’s really hard to imagine,” Qin said. “I was thinking about taking one of his classes next quarter, but now I can’t.”

David Meyers said Michael often hiked alone and had safely climbed the Sierra Nevada mountains before.

“I’m sure it’s tough for every parent to lose a child, but it’s just so hard,” David Meyers said. “We miss him a lot – he had tremendous potential and drive.”

Meyers is survived by his parents David and Catherine Meyers and his brother William Meyers.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor