Wednesday, May 8, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

UCLA loses to USC 40-21, ending three-year win streak

By Austin Yu, Daniel Alcazar, Miriam Bribiesca, Aubrey Yeo

Fireworks shot out of the LA Memorial Coliseum during Slash’s rendition of the National Anthem.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

The Spirit of Troy marching band marches out to the LA Memorial Coliseum prior to kickoff.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

USC quarterback Cody Kessler pumps his fist as he runs onto the field before the start of the game.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

The Bruins take to the field prior to kickoff.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Former Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash performed the national anthem before the game.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Senior receiver Jordan Payton takes a few seconds to pray before kick off.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Junior defensive back Tahaan Goodman goes helmet-to-helmet with USC cornerback Adoree' Jackson on the opening kickoff.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Redshirt junior running back Paul Perkins breaks through the line of scrimmage for a 19-yard touchdown run in the first quarter. The run occurred on a fourth-and-1 play, and gave UCLA a 7-3 lead with 3:26 to go in the period.

(Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin)

Trojan fans greet the UCLA marching band with disapproving gestures.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Kessler finished the game with 175 yards passing, two touchdowns and no interceptions.

(Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin)

Jackson ambles through the end zone after scoring his 42-yard touchdown on a punt return.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Traveler, the mascot for the Trojans parades up and down the home sideline after every USC touchdown.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Senior receiver Jordan Payton misses a would-be touchdown pass by Rosen. Payton was able to draw a pass interference call on the play, setting up a go-ahead touchdown for UCLA early in the third quarter.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Junior receiver Thomas Duarte (left) celebrates a 19-yard touchdown reception in front of USC outside linebacker Su'a Cravens. Duarte's touchdown gave UCLA a 14-10 lead with 9:49 remaining in the second quarter.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Spirits are high on the bench as UCLA takes the lead in the second quarter.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Running back Ronald Jones II was the second-leading rusher for the Trojans, carrying the ball 17 times for 63 yards.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Senior receiver Jordan Payton charges forward for a 12-yard gain to the USC 2-yard line early in the third quarter. UCLA went on to score three plays later, taking a 21-20 lead.

(Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin)

Wide receivers Juju Smith-Schuster (left) and Darreus Rogers (right) celebrate after USC’s first touchdown.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

USC outside linebacker Scott Felix sacks freshman quarterback Josh Rosen (left) for a loss of 14 yards during the second quarter.

(Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin)

Kessler hands the ball off to Ronald Jones II, one of the Trojans' six rushers on the night.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Rosen makes a 12-yard run in the third quarter – on a read-option keeper. A play earlier, Rosen had his fumble returned for a USC touchdown, putting the Trojans ahead 26-21 in the third quarter.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

On UCLA's third drive, Rosen dives out of bounds at the USC 19-yard line, after running the ball for nine yards. That was Rosen's only positive rush of the game, outside of his 12-yard read-option keeper in the third quarter.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Perkins avoids a tackle by linebacker Olajuwon Tucker. Perkins ran the ball 17 times for 95 yards – his highest rushing total ever against USC.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Sophomore running back Nate Starks had one of the most exciting runs of the game, breaking three tackles and gaining 11 yards before being trampled down at the USC 13-yard line. However, Starks' run was nullified by an illegal formation penalty on UCLA, which pushed the ball back to the USC 29-yard line.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

USC ran the ball 59 times against UCLA, tying Arizona for the most run plays attempted by a Bruin opponent this year.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Outside of his 42-yard punt return for a touchdown in the second quarter, Jackson was a non-factor on special teams. The sophomore cornerback finished the day with an average of 17.7 yards on his three kick returns.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

The UCLA fan section at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum was full for a majority of the game.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Ronald Jones II broke the Trojan record for most rushing yards in a season by a freshman.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Redshirt senior running back Roosevelt Davis returned six kickoffs for 134 yards, averaging 22.3 yards per return.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

USC averaged just 4.0 yards per carry on its 30 rush attempts in the first half, but upped that average to 4.9 yards per carry on 26 run plays in the second half.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Kessler scrambles after facing pressure from junior defensive end Takkarist McKinley (left). Kessler was hurried a few times in the game, but only sustained one sack.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Jackson (bottom) deflects the ball away from UCLA redshirt sophomore receiver Darren Andrews in the fourth quarter. The USC cornerback finished the game with two pass breakups.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Perkins burrows in for a 1-yard touchdown run in the third quarter, giving UCLA a 21-20 lead with 8:38 to go in the period.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Jackson gets ready for one of his three kick returns on the day.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

USC fans put their hands up to the Spirit of Troy’s rendition of DJ Khaled’s “All I Do is Win.”

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Smith-Schuster hauls in a 34-yard reception early in the second quarter, as UCLA freshman defensive back Nate Meadors (left) trails behind. Smith-Schuster amassed 62 of his team-high 85 receiving yards on that drive.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

USC middle linebacker Anthony Sarao (left) talks to outside linebacker Su’a Cravens (right) on the bench.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

USC outside linebacker Scott Felix sacks Rosen for a loss of 14 yards on third down.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

USC outside linebacker Felix Scott roars in celebration after the big play.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

USC’s signal caller, Kessler, directs his linemen before the snap while under center.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Redshirt sophomore guard Kenny Lacy lies on the grass after an apparent knee injury. Lacy sat out for the rest of the game, forcing junior right tackle Caleb Benenoch to move over to the right guard position.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

USC linebacker Olajuwon Tucker sacks Rosen on a third-and-10 play early in the third quarter. Rosen attempted to get rid of the ball as he fell to the ground, but drew an intentional grounding penalty instead.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Kessler falls down after being sacked on a third-and-11 play by UCLA redshirt senior outside linebacker Aaron Wallace. That sack – which occurred midway through the third quarter – was the only one UCLA registered all game against USC.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Trojan wide receiver Darreus Rogers (left) outleaps freshman cornerback Nate Meadors (right) to latch onto a 20-yard throw by Kessler.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Rogers stretches his hand to cross the goal line, giving USC a 33-21 lead with 1:44 remaining in the third quarter. Rogers' 20-yard touchdown catch came after UCLA threw an interception on the preceding drive.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Perkins runs the ball up the middle for a 13-yard gain on UCLA's third drive. That turned out to be Perkins' longest run of the first half, when he tallied 33 yards on nine carries.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Sophomore inside linebacker Kenny Young tackles Jackson for no gain on a toss play in the red zone during the second quarter.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Duarte catches a 27-yard pass from Rosen early in the second quarter. Duarte's reception was one of three passes that Rosen completed at least 20 yards downfield.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Perkins didn't have much room to run all game, but shed several tacklers en route to a 95-yard rushing performance.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Jackson is tackled after a 9-yard punt return in the third quarter.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Iman Marshall fumbles after interception during the fourth quarter of the game.

(Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin)

Sophomore running back Nate Starks ran the ball in the 2nd quarter. Starks finished with 53 yards on the day.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Rosen hands the ball to Perkins which would lead to Perkins’ second touchdown of the day.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Perkins looked back as he ran in for UCLAs first touchdown of the day. He finished with two touchdowns.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Senior kicker Ka’imi Fairbairn completes the point after touchdown in the third quarter.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Redshirt senior linebacker Aaron Wallace records the Bruin’s only sack of the game.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

USC fullback Jahleel Pinner (right) helps tight end Taylor McNamara (left) after the latter's 7-yard receiving touchdown in the fourth quarter.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Rosen finished the game with 227 yards, 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions.

(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

Redshirt freshman tailback Stefan Smith celebrates USC’s lead from the bench close to the dying minutes of the game.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Duarte exchanges pleasantries with Cravens after the end of the game.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

USC players proclaim, “We run LA” after the 40-21 victory over UCLA.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Inside linebacker Anthony Sarao celebrates the Trojan win with members of the USC marching band.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

An emotional Kessler leads the Spirit of Troy in their playing of USC’s victory song, “Conquest,” one last time at the LA Memorial Coliseum.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Kessler did a victory lap, high-fiving fans before walking off the USC’s home field for the last time.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Austin Yu | Alumnus
Daniel Alcazar | Photo Editor
Daniel Alcazar is currently the Daily Bruin's photo editor. He is also a writer for Arts & Entertainment section. He was previously photographer from 2014-2015.
Aubrey Yeo | Alumnus