USAC recap – Nov. 17

By Kartik Kolachina

The original version of this article incorrectly stated that Kevin Sabo suggested each student in a school represented by the University of California Student Association would pay $1.30 annually. In fact, Sabo said each student currently pays $1.30 annually.

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every week on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda items

• The council approved a bylaw change that will limit resolution topics. Under the changes, resolutions cannot cause harm to students and resolutions that are passed only represent the opinion of the council that passed them. The bylaw change was approved in a 9-4-0 vote.
  • Sabrina Zeigler, a third-year ​political science and psychobiology student, was appointed to the Faculty Executive Committee in a 12-0-1 vote.
  • Silena Palozzola, a second-year biochemistry student, was appointed to the Faculty Executive Committee in a 9-3-1 vote.

Special presentations

• Kevin Sabo, the president of the University of California Student Association, presented a new proposal to restructure the way students pay membership fees to the organization. Under the new system, students will decide if they want their school to be a member of UCSA, Sabo said. Sabo said that each student in a school represented by UCSA currently pay $1.30 annually.

Officer reports

• President Heather Rosen said that she visited Washington, D.C., the past weekend with External Vice President Zach Helder and met with 12 members of Congress. Rosen added that she voiced her concerns about the Safe Campus Act with those members.
  • Internal Vice President Heather Hourdequin said that the final 20 designs for the Associated Students UCLA T-shirt design competition have been selected.
  • Helder said that at Washington, D.C., he also discussed the Higher Education Act and an alternate sexual assault bill with a senator.

Compiled by Kartik Kolachina, Bruin contributor.

Kartik Kolachina