Westwood Neighborhood Council recap – Nov. 11

By Madeleine Pauker

The Westwood Neighborhood Council meets monthly to discuss issues pertaining to Westwood Village and the surrounding areas.

Comments by public officials

• Sheila Kouhkan, deputy director of the Westwood Village Improvement Association, also known as the BID, discussed the BID’s plan to turn part of Broxton Avenue into a public plaza. The council voted to oppose the plaza because it said the BID did not solicit enough input from the council.
  • Chris Ragsdale, the Los Angeles Police Department’s senior lead officer for Westwood, said Westwood saw an increase in thefts, particularly of items left unattended and robberies.

Motions

• The council passed a motion deciding that its 2016 elections would be conducted during a six-hour period at the Westwood Recreation Center, and that it will provide ballots in English, Spanish and Persian.
  • The council approved the creation of a Homeless Task Force, which will include other community agencies. The council also voted to participate in the 2016 Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count.
  • After lengthy discussion and several public comments from Airbnb renters, the council voted to recommend to the Los Angeles City Council that short-term rentals, including Airbnb, should be limited to the owner’s primary residence, with no time limit for hosting.
  • The council voted to support the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs master plan to support homeless veterans in Los Angeles.

Compiled by Madeleine Pauker, Bruin contributor.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.