USAC recap – Oct. 27

By Amanda Wilcox

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every week on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda

• The council appointed Christelle Rocha, a fourth-year mathematics for teaching student, onto the Committee on Undergraduate Admissions and Relations with Schools with a 10-0-1 vote.
  • The council appointed Claire Crinion, a third-year cognitive science student, onto the Committee on Undergraduate Admissions and Relations with Schools with a 10-0-1 vote.
  • The council appointed Meredith Duncan, a fourth-year psychology student, onto the Academic Senate’s Undergraduate Council with a 10-0-1 vote.
  • The council appointed Ally Miller, the policy chief of staff of the Academic Affairs Commission, onto the Academic Senate’s Undergraduate Council with a 10-0-1 vote.
  • The council appointed Stella Fang, a fourth-year economics and psychology student, onto the Academic Senate’s Undergraduate Council with a 10-0-1 vote.
  • The council appointed Maria Felix, a staff member in the Academic Affairs Commission, onto the Academic Senate’s Undergraduate Council with a 10-0-1 vote.

Special Presentations

• Jasmine Jafari, Student Health Advisory Committee chair, presented on the committee’s goals and the latest developments in the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center.
  • Jafari said one of the main goals for the Student Health Advisory Committee is to effectively address mental health on campus and added that the university is looking into adding more mental health service providers on campus.
  • Jafari said the committee will try to lobby for laws protecting the university against drug price inflations. Jafari added the university may not be able to afford drugs its students need if prices are inflated.
  • Jafari said the Ashe Center plans to move its pharmacy to Ackerman Union by next summer to provide more space in the clinic.
  • Jafari said the Ashe Center cannot provide free STI testing year round and said the university will look into bringing chlamydia and gonorrhea testing vans to provide free tests about once a month.
  • Community Service Commissioner Zack Dameron said the commission’s Day of Service is Nov. 7 and there are about 15 sites confirmed around Los Angeles where students will volunteer to carry out service activities.
  • Dameron said the commission has started a new initiative involving quarterly weeklong campaigns. Dameron said the first campaign is about food sustainability and security, which will take place from Nov. 10 to Nov. 13.

Officer Reports

• Hourdequin said she met with BruinAlert staff to discuss student concerns about the system.

Compiled by Amanda Wilcox, Bruin contributor.

Amanda Wilcox