UCLA Housing resets swipes to standard amount following error

(Alyssa Dorn/Daily Bruin)

UCLA Housing officials increased the number of swipes in students’ meal plans Thursday afternoon, following outcry against officials’ Wednesday morning decision to deduct swipes after an internal error.

In an email to students with Premier meal plans, Peter Angelis, assistant vice chancellor of Housing and Hospitality Services, said affected students’ swipe balances were restored to the standard amount of swipes for the rest of the quarter. Students with the 14 Premier meal plan will have two swipes per day, or 99 swipes, as of Thursday. Students with the 19 Premier plan will have three swipes per weekday and two swipes per day on the weekend, or 138 swipes.

Angelis said in the email Housing officials restored students’ swipes because the deduction left many students without enough meals for the rest of the quarter. Those with higher balances will retain the higher swipe count.

The Wednesday email to students with Premier meal plans said Housing officials recently discovered the BruinCard system erroneously reset students’ swipe counts on Oct. 1. The email added the amount of swipes students used between the start of the quarter and Oct. 1 was deducted Wednesday, and stated the number of swipes deducted specific to each student.

Angelis added Housing officials are working to create an application that allows students to track their transactions and the number of swipes they have left. The email included a meal plan usage chart, intended to help students accurately budget their swipe use.

Compiled by Angie Wang, Bruin senior staff.