Westwood BID recap – Oct. 15

By Roberto Luna Jr.

The Westwood Village Improvement Association, also known as the BID, is a nonprofit organization tasked with improving the state of Westwood Village. The BID was created by property and business owners in August 2011 to provide Westwood Village with functions the City of Los Angeles could not provide. Its board of directors meets monthly.

• Executive Director Andrew Thomas said in his monthly report the BID installed wayfinding signs throughout Westwood Village and that larger, vehicular signs will be installed soon.
  • Thomas also said the Los Angeles Department of Transportation will install bicycle racks on existing parking meters. The BID’s Parking, Access and Transportation committee will choose which meters get the racks.
  • The board of directors approved its 2016 budget, which has about $70,000 more than last year. The board also approved its 2016 Annual Planning Report, which lists how it plans to spend its money throughout the next fiscal year. Thomas said items listed on the report are not final, and that they can still pay for items not listed.
  • Thomas gave a presentation about a potential plaza LADOT could build on Broxton Avenue. He said merchants where the plaza would be have shown support for it. Several board members thought it was a good idea, as they had been to other plazas in Silver Lake and Leimert Park. Others questioned the cost for maintaining the plaza. The board did not vote to agree to submit an application for the plaza.
  • Carter Rubin, a staff member at Mayor Eric Garcetti’s office, said the Great Streets programs will add two bus stops on Westwood Boulevard and Lindbrook Drive with Wi-Fi and charging outlets. Westwood Boulevard might also get a diagonal sidewalk on Weyburn or Kinross avenues, similar to the one on Le Conte Avenue.

Compiled by Roberto Luna Jr., Bruin senior staff.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.