Daily Bruin Abroad: Japan

By Daniel Alcazar

The subway system is an integral part of transportation, from students to businessmen. Pictured here is the Shinagawa stop on the Yamanote line, which circles around all of the biggest stations in Tokyo.

(LeAnn Woo/Daily Bruin)

The Imperial Palace in central Tokyo cannot be entered without prior reservation, but its vast gardens are open to all.

(LeAnn Woo/Daily Bruin)

Akihabara is a district in central Tokyo known for its heavy focus on anime and games. From the six floors of the Sega Arcade and the Gundam Cafe, to maid cafes, Akihabara's quirks attract not only students from around the area, but also many tourists.

(LeAnn Woo/Daily Bruin)

Located in western Tokyo, Meiji Shrine is one of Tokyo's more famous Shinto shrines. Stacks of sake barrels, thought empty, sit outside Meiji Shrine's gates as a symbol to bring people and the gods together.

(LeAnn Woo/Daily Bruin)

A traditional wedding procession takes place at Meiji Shrine, where Shinto priests lead the bride and groom under a large red parasol, with the rest of the wedding party following behind.

(LeAnn Woo/Daily Bruin)

The cleansing station that sits outside the gates of Meiji Shrine is used to purify your hands and mouth before entering the shrine.

(LeAnn Woo/Daily Bruin)

A food stand taking place at a summer festival outside Meiji Shrine sells grilled octopus and squid.

(LeAnn Woo/Daily Bruin)

The city of Sapporo slowly disperses as Mt. Moiwa invades the flat landscape.

(LeAnn Woo/Daily Bruin)

Niseko Village in Hokkaido is a common summer getaway for locals, as it has many quaint qualities, such as sunflower fields and fresh milk products at the Milk Kobo.

(LeAnn Woo/Daily Bruin)

Kinkaku-ji, or the Temple of the Golden Pavillion, is a famous Zen Buddhist temple in Kyoto. The top two floors of the three floor temple is completely covered in gold leaf.

(LeAnn Woo/Daily Bruin)

Herring Palace, which sits at the top of a hill, provides a great view of the harbor in Otaru, Hokkaido.

(LeAnn Woo/Daily Bruin)

Daniel Alcazar | Photo Editor
Daniel Alcazar is currently the Daily Bruin's photo editor. He is also a writer for Arts & Entertainment section. He was previously photographer from 2014-2015.