Monday, May 20, 2024

Junior linebacker Myles Jack withdraws, plans to enter NFL draft

Junior linebacker Myles Jack will be entering the 2016 NFL draft, UCLA coach Jim Mora announced Tuesday morning. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Matt Joye and Claire Fahy

Junior linebacker Myles Jack has withdrawn from UCLA and plans to enter the NFL draft, coach Jim Mora announced Tuesday.

While Mora voiced his support during Tuesday’s post-practice press conference, the coach also expressed concerns.

“My personal opinion is I think he’s a tremendous football player and a tremendous athlete. I think it’s very risky to do this,” Mora said. “Having been on that side, there’s gonna be a lot of speculation as to exactly what (position) he is and where he fits.”

Mora served at various coaching positions in the NFL from 1985 to 2010 before signing on as head coach of UCLA football in 2011, affording him experience in draft strategy.

“NFL teams are very, very conservative, and if there’s any question whatsoever, they’ll pass on you in a heartbeat. They’re gonna take the sure thing. I explained that to him, but I feel like they’d already made their decision,” Mora said. “And so like I said, I hope it works out best for him. But as a guy that’s spent half of my life in the NFL, I would move with great caution.”

With Jack’s decision, the Bruins lose a two-way player who posted 178 tackles and 11 touchdowns in his career. The junior was out for the season due to a meniscus tear suffered in practice last month. Jack still has four to six months of recovery time.

“Myles, his talent is without question – he’s extremely talented, incredible athlete, plays with great energy and great passion, and great emotion, and can do so many different things,” Mora said. “I hope that he’s put enough out there that they can get a true evaluation, because if they can’t get a true evaluation of you, they’re not gonna take you, they’re just not, they don’t take on speculation.”

Compiled by Matthew Joye and Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.
Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.