Men’s golf aims to swing into strong 2015-2016 season

Senior Jonathan Garrick is one of two upperclassmen starters for UCLA men’s golf, whose starting lineup features three freshmen. (Courtesy of UCLA Athletics)

By Julie Song

UCLA men’s golf has achieved consistent success in recent history, now looking to break into the top tier of collegiate competition.

The Bruins have been consistently ranked in the top10 since 2010. Last season, the team made it to the NCAA quarterfinal before losing to LSU 4-1. While the team is now without two of its seniors from last year, Manav Shah and Preston Valder, it hopes to relive its success.

This year, the UCLA roster balances rookie talent with veteran experience, which so far has translated well for the Bruins in competition. Last weekend, UCLA finished third at the Northern Intercollegiate at Rich Harvest Farms with a lineup featuring seniors Jonathan Garrick and Jake Knapp as well as freshmen Phil Delisi, Cole Madey and Patrick Murphy.

The Bruins travel to the midwest for the Erin Hills Intercollegiate this weekend. In their previous season of 2014-2015, the Bruins won this same event with a season-best and the lowest team score of 14-under par.

This invitational marks the second of a season that spans until June, when the NCAA championship takes place. The Bruins’ lowest finish last year was tied for 19th, which they earned in the NCAA tournament.

Compiled by Julie Song, Bruin Sports contributor.

Julie Song