Community group Fix the City files lawsuit against city of Los Angeles

A West Los Angeles community group filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the city, calling for the Los Angeles City Council to rescind its approval of the L.A. Mobility Plan 2035. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Roberto Luna Jr.

A West Los Angeles community group filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the city, calling for the Los Angeles City Council to rescind its approval of the L.A. Mobility Plan 2035.

Community group Fix the City claims the mobility plan would significantly increase traffic congestion, air pollution and emergency response times.

Mobility Plan 2035, which the City Council approved last month, would create more bus and bike lanes while removing street parking and traffic lanes. The plan, which was incorporated into the city’s general plan, will dictate transportation-related policies for the next 20 years.

Laura Lake, a member of the group and of the Westwood Community Council, said the group is aiming for the city to conduct a better environmental study of the plan and to get more public input.

She added she thinks the process was rushed and that City Council did not make a decision based on concrete evidence.

“There has to be public benefit, and that has to be based on accurate information,” Lake said.

Lake said one solution the group is suggesting is putting the mobility plan on a ballot, so residents can learn more about the plan and vote to show whether they support it.

Supporters of the plan, which include UCLA officials, argue the plan would make streets safer and more convenient for people and students who bike, walk or take public transit, while reducing pollution.

“This plan is a move in the right direction to encourage use of public transit and active transportation modes,” said David Karwaski, senior associate director for UCLA Transportation, in an email statement in August. “Not only will doing so decrease vehicle trips, but will also reduce the greenhouse gas emissions associated with single occupancy vehicle driving.”

He added nearly half of UCLA employees and 75 percent of commuting students take public transit, bike or walk to UCLA.

The city of Los Angeles has about a month to respond to the lawsuit.

Compiled by Roberto Luna Jr., Bruin senior staff.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.