ASUCLA Services Committee recap – July 17

By Pei (Bonnie) Ni

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund and oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. The services committee meeting takes place every month and focuses on evaluating the services provided by the association, specifically the association’s facilities.

Executive director’s report

• Bob Williams, the executive director of ASUCLA, said the UCLA Store performed better than projected in June, although he added he was concerned about a higher-than-usual shrinkage in some divisions such as BearWear.
  • Williams said campus visitors brought extra sales in July.
  • Kikka Sushi, which was supposed to open in 2014 but was plagued by delays, will open by the end of August.

Proposals

• Members of the Education for Sustainable Living Program at the UCLA Institute of the Environment and Sustainability proposed an idea to have the UCLA Store carry solar phone chargers. The program conducted a survey and discovered that 96 percent of surveyed students want the charger and are willing to pay about $15 for a charger. The members said that they were able to find efficient charger models that would cost around $20. ASUCLA board members did not say whether or not they would sell the chargers at the UCLA Store.
  • Williams said he had originally planned to have comfortable lounge chairs in the Global Viewpoint Lounge so that the room could be used for entertaining purposes after admission orientation tours. Williams wanted to change the chairs into stackable chairs to maximize the capacity of the Global Viewpoint Lounge, which would help the tours increase the amount they could accommodate for each orientation session.

Construction

• Roy Champawat, the director of the student union, said the construction of the all-gender restroom on the A-level of the student union is going as planned and projected to finish in September.
  • Patrick Adler, the graduate representative of ASUCLA, said the renovation of the Hill Top Shop will finish by mid-August. Adler said he would like to receive extra funding from the finance committee to add on sliding doors to the future Hill Top Shop.

Compiled by Pei Ni, Bruin contributor.

Pei (Bonnie) Ni