Explosion in electrical vault causes UCLA, Westwood power outage

By Roberto Luna Jr.

An explosion in an electrical vault near Parking Structure 8 Tuesday afternoon caused a power outage on campus and in Westwood.

Power was restored to the area at about 1:35 p.m. and no injuries were reported, said Carol Tucker, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.

The Los Angeles Fire Department responded to a call at 11:45 a.m. about an explosion, said LAFD spokeswoman Margaret Stewart. Firefighters cleared the area and waited until LADWP workers arrived to investigate the vault, she added.

The explosion interrupted the main electrical feed to UCLA, forcing some buildings to switch to backup power, according to a UCLA statement.

The LADWP is investigating the cause of the explosion and no cost of the damages is available, Tucker said.

Compiled by Roberto Luna Jr., Bruin senior staff.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.