UC Board of Regents to discuss Gov. Brown’s budget revision

By Rafael Sands

The University of California Board of Regents will meet at the UC San Francisco campus this week to decide whether to follow Gov. Jerry Brown’s May budget revision and the long-term UC funding plan, among other issues.

Brown’s updated budget proposal released Thursday calls for a two-year tuition freeze for resident undergraduate students, followed by tuition increases tied to the rate of inflation and capped at 5 percent annually. The plan will not freeze tuition for nonresident or graduate students for the 2015-2016 school year. The regents will vote on whether to allow UC President Janet Napolitano to raise nonresident tuition by up to 8 percent annually through 2019-2020.

In return for the increased funding from the state, the UC must agree to several key changes related to cost structures, including a restructured pension plan, a raised quota of community college students transferring to the UC and shorter degree programs for students to graduate earlier.

The regents will also discuss the following:

Thursday

• The Committee on Educational Policy will hear from Student Regent Sadia Saifuddin and Judy Sakaki, the Office of the President’s vice president of Student Affairs, who will present their findings about food security across the UC system and suggest an improved model.

• In a meeting with the Committee on Long Range Planning, Brown will demonstrate the UC’s new Information Center website. The site is intended to increase the University’s transparency efforts by providing facts and figures in chart format for everything from graduation rates to diversity on campus.

Friday

• The regents will continue to discuss unfinished agenda items from Thursday.

Compiled by Rafael Sands, Bruin reporter.

Rafael Sands