Metro Rapid tests all-door TAP card boarding on Westwood Boulevard stops

Los Angeles County Metro Transportation Authority officials installed three TAP card validators at two 720 Metro Rapid line stops in Westwood on Monday to reduce bus delays. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Sujung Hahn

To reduce bus delays, Los Angeles County Metro Transportation Authority officials started testing all-door boarding with newly installed TAP card technology on Monday at 720 Metro Rapid line stops on Westwood Boulevard and Vermont Avenue.

Metro officials recently added three TAP card validators at the two bus stops so passengers can pay their bus fares and board the bus from any of the three bus doors, said Metro spokeman Paul Gonzalez.

Passengers can tap their TAP cards onto the validators at any time before boarding the bus, so that passengers do not have to wait in line to pay their fares upon the bus’ arrival, Gonzalez said.

“Wilshire Boulevard is the busiest transit corridor in the county, and we chose the Wilshire and Westwood, and Wilshire and Vermont stops because they are the busiest stops for the 720 bus line,” Gonzalez said.

The Metro Board of Directors approved the all-door boarding program upon its suggestion on April 23 as an eight-week pilot, he said. He added that he does not know the costs for implementing the validators.

During the pilot, Metro workers will be stationed at the two bus stops to help boarders get used to the new process. When the testing period ends, Metro officials will decide whether to expand the all-door boarding to other bus stops, Gonzalez said.

Some 720 line passengers said they were pleased with the new program on the first day the validators were installed.

Jennifer Henry, 55 and a frequent commuter on the 720 line, said she hopes the program will continue after the eight-week pilot because it sped up her commuting process.

“Normally it takes a while on the Westwood Boulevard stop to board the bus because I often have to wait in a long line at the front doors just to tap my card while others in front of me are digging for their cash to pay their fares,” Henry said. “It’s nice that now I can immediately enter the bus and take my seat.”

Josh Capps, a fourth-year English student, said he supports the program because when he rides the 720 bus he often sees commuters trying to board from the middle and back doors without paying.

He said he thinks the validators may help to reduce the number of boarders trying to ride for free.

The pilot is set to end on July 10, Gonzalez said.

Sujung Hahn