USAC passes resolution calling for Gov. Brown to allocate $100M to UC

USAC unanimously passed a resolution calling for more state funds for the University of California, days before Gov. Jerry Brown is expected to release his annual May Revise budget. (Julie Song/Daily Bruin)

By Catherine Kidder

The undergraduate student council unanimously passed a resolution Tuesday asking Gov. Jerry Brown to allocate $100 million to the University of California. Councilmembers think this allocation would make tuition more affordable.

Brown will release his annual May budget revision Thursday and recommend to the legislature how much funding the UC will receive.

The original text of the resolution said councilmembers would coordinate with President Janet Napolitano and the UC Board of Regents to ensure that the UC receives adequate funding. However, LET’S ACT! councilmembers were concerned with Napolitano’s ability to work with students.

“After the (UC Board of Regents) meeting, Napolitano told us she ‘doesn’t have to deal with this crap’,” said General Representative 2 Aaliya Khan. “Although she is reaching out to us now, you can’t just stitch back relationships (at the) last minute.”

Some councilmembers argued that working with Napolitano was necessary because of the limited time before Brown’s budget revision.

Academic Affairs Commissioner Trent Kajikawa said that he thinks people are mistaking the language in the resolution as a vote of confidence in Napolitano’s actions.

“We are not saying we are completely sure of her abilities,” Kajikawa said. “There are enormous tuition hikes pending and the apprehension students have toward Napolitano doesn’t mean we should just stop trying.”

The resolution was revised to say that councilmembers should coordinate with Napolitano and the regents when possible and appropriate. The council should hold them accountable and ensure transparency in their decision-making processes.

The resolution stated Brown reduced UC funding by a total of $1.2 billion in order to stabilize state finances between 2008 and 2012. In response, the regents committee voted in November to increase tuition by 5 percent for the next five years.

The 2015-2016 California state budget has about $2.3 billion in excess, according to a report from the state controller’s office. Zach Helder, the Undergraduate Students Association Council external vice president, said he thinks that allocating $100 million from the excess would eliminate the need for a tuition increase.

“Brown has the opportunity to single-handedly solve the crisis,” Helder said. “We just need to make sure he allocates enough money to the UC before the May revision.”

The cost of providing a UC education has decreased by about $5,000 over the past two years, according to an internal report published by the University.

Helder said he worked with Avi Oved, the 2015-2016 UC student regent, to launch UCLA’s #DearGovBrown campaign on social media to allow students to voice their support for more UC funding.

According to the resolution, councilmembers plan to lobby to the California State Legislature and executive branch, and work with the regents to keep education affordable. The resolution did not give a specific plan or timeline for these actions.

Helder spoke with politicians and members of the governor’s office Monday and Tuesday. He said he plans to have more conversations with legislators.

Catherine Kidder