UCLA to update eduroam’s permissions to address technological glitch

By Katie Shepherd

Students who do not use their UCLA email addresses to log in to eduroam will no longer be able to automatically connect to the mobile Wi-Fi network starting mid-June.

UCLA will be updating eduroam’s permissions in June to allow administrators and students to move between different domains while retaining their Wi-Fi connection.

The Commons Systems Group at UCLA discussed changes in the eduroam credentials in February following ongoing issues with eduroam disconnecting as users moved from North Campus to the medical center area.

The group, which addresses technological issues for UCLA faculty, said the problem was caused by a legacy feature enabled on the main campus that allows users to enter credentials without specifying their @ucla.edu address.

If users try to connect to the network outside of the main campus area, they are asked to re-enter credentials because of a technological glitch, which has caused confusion, said Mike Van Norman, IT services senior director for networking and communications. Changing the credentials to include the full UCLA email address solves the disconnecting problem, he said.

Students will still be able to update their usernames any time after the network change occurs, but they will not be able to automatically connect until they set their username as their university email address.

Compiled by Katie Shepherd and Mila Abushmaies, Bruin senior staff and Bruin contributor.

Katie Shepherd