Lights-out pitching keeps CSU Fullerton in the dark with 7-2 victory

Redshirt sophomore relief pitcher Tucker Forbes kept Cal State Fullerton bats at bay Tuesday night, anchoring a consistent Bruin bullpen. (Conor Cusack/Daily Bruin)

Baseball

Cal State Fullerton2

By Conor Cusack

The Bruin pitching staff supplied the fuel, and the bats ignited the fire Tuesday night at Jackie Robinson Stadium.

No. 3 UCLA (26-7, 12-3 Pac-12) defeated Cal State Fullerton (19-16, 6-3 Big West) 7-2 behind a commanding performance from the bullpen.

Bruin pitchers allowed a meager two runs on three hits but dealt a number of bruises, hitting four batters. Despite the bruises given, the staff maintained control and did not allow the free bases to snowball into big innings.

Coach John Savage said he was unconcerned since his pitchers only allowed three hits and one walk, in addition to the hit batters. What matters, Savage said, is that it didn’t show up on the scoreboard.

As the staff silenced Titan bats, the Bruin lineup made Jackie Robinson Stadium ring, scattering 10 hits throughout the night.

Junior outfielder Brett Urabe said having an efficient, reliable staff takes the pressure off the hitters. Urabe recorded two hits and knocked in a run in addition to making a stumbling, diving catch in the last frame.

“It helps you not do too much at the plate,” Urabe said. “You just stay within your game, and if you have a good at-bat, the guys behind you will too.”

While the offensive mindset shifts behind a dominating staff, redshirt sophomore relief pitcher Tucker Forbes said that his mentality is the same every time, even with a lead. Forbes came in with four-run lead and threw 1.2 innings, providing a bridge from the early arms to the late relievers.

“It’s always same no matter what situation you come into – you always wanna attack it,” Forbes said. “The situation doesn’t play into my preparation or my mentality out there.”

Savage said the same approach applies to managing the game. Junior starting pitcher Cody Poteet hadn’t allowed a run or a hit, but Savage still pulled him, saying that he had a set pitch limit going into the game. Savage then went to his main arms in the bullpen, noting the importance of keeping each player’s role consistent from game to game.

“We have a good little method right now. … (A) big part of baseball is having roles and knowing what you’re going to be doing,” Savage said.

Savage is moving the right pieces at the right time as the Bruins have only dropped two of their last 15 games heading into the final month of conference play.

Conor Cusack