UCLA’s balanced offense ripe to capitalize on Stanford’s weak pitching

Softball

Stanford
Today, 7 p.m

Boyd and Jill Smith Family Stadium
No TV info
Stanford
Saturday, 7 p.m

Boyd and Jill Smith Family Stadium
No TV info
Stanford
Sunday, noon

Boyd and Jill Smith Family Stadium
No TV info

By Taylor Hollowell

Now in the thick of its season, UCLA softball is able to review what is working for them and what is not.

“To pick up from where we left off last weekend, there’s definitely work that we can fix,” said sophomore outfielder Gabrielle Maurice. “This weekend will be a good (opportunity) to show those adjustments and show that we can face adversity.”

As No. 9 UCLA (32-8, 6-3 Pac-12) heads north this weekend to compete against conference foe Stanford (16-22, 1-8), the Bruins know that when they score first, they like the results.

“We have been stressing just getting on top early and staying on top,” said junior catcher Brittany Moeai. “So whether we score two runs or six runs the first inning, our goal is to always score another one the next inning.”

The early innings have proven critical for the Bruins so far this season; they’re 11-1 when scoring in the first inning and 23-1 when scoring first.

“We’re going to play our game, but it definitely does help to get going early,” said freshman utility Kylee Perez.

One of the reasons the Bruins have been able to capitalize on early leads is the team’s depth.

While the Bruins have defensive superstars in All-American seniors – pitcher Ally Carda and catcher Stephany LaRosa – the team has relied heavily on a balanced offensive attack. UCLA currently has nine players who are hitting over .300, and no player has separated herself from the pack.

“Throughout the whole team – from starters to non-starters – everyone can hit, and we know that,” Perez said. “If you get pulled, if someone else gets pulled or if someone is hitting for you, they have the opportunity to get the job done.”

The Bruins’ multifaceted offensive attack could thrive this weekend, squaring off against one of the weakest pitching staffs in the Pac-12. Stanford pitchers currently sport a conference-high 5.75 ERA and have allowed opponents to hit for a .322 average, the lowest average in the Pac-12.

Although UCLA players said they won’t overlook any opponent, they admit that playing against last-place Stanford is a relief after playing No. 2 Oregon last weekend.

“We have no doubt that we’re going to go into these games and hopefully dominate,” Moeai said. “But ultimately, it is up to us whether we take them lightly and let the confidence go to our head or we play our game.”

One player the Bruins should not take lightly is first baseman Kayla Bonstrom, who is second in the Pac-12 in batting average and slugging percentage as well as seventh in home runs (10) and RBIs (44).

Still, the Bruins feel like they have the well-rounded attack and offensive depth to counteract any opposition they may face.

“(Our depth) is something that reminds us how versatile we can be,” Moeai said. “It’s a 25-girls game, not just the nine players on the field. It’s the support system. It’s everyone on the team.”

Taylor Hollowell