UC to survey non-union employees about workplace experiences

By Darakhsha Siddiqi

The University of California will conduct a survey this week asking its non-unionized employees about their views on working at the University.

The survey aims to help the UC gain perspective on the experiences and needs of its non-represented workers, according to a press release by the University on March 23. The survey will include questions related to career development, performance management and workplace collaboration, among other topics.

UC Human Resources will compare the new survey results to those of another survey from 2012 to examine where the UC has made progress and where the University should improve.

This week, about 20,000 of the 50,000 non-represented workers at the UC will randomly receive an email inviting them to take the survey. The answers given will be confidential, and individual responses and personal information that would identify workers will not be shared with the University.

The Council of University of California Staff Assemblies developed the survey in collaboration with the systemwide Human Resources’ Employee Relations department and Towers Watson, a national firm specializing in workforce opinion survey research.

The University said in the press release it is not conducting a survey for unionized workers because it thinks their input is given through the contract bargaining process.

Compiled by Darakhsha Siddiqi, Bruin contributor.

Darakhsha Siddiqi