UCLA to seal manhole covers on Hill in response to odor complaints

By Roberto Luna Jr.

UCLA Housing officials plan to seal about five manhole covers near Sproul Cove this week in response to several student complaints about a sewage smell hovering in the area.

The smell, which officials said could be seeping through manhole covers above housing sewer lines, is noticeable near the stairs next to Sproul Cove and on De Neve Drive near De Neve Holly Ridge, some students in the area said.

“I don’t take the stairs next to Sproul Cove because they smell bad,” said Amanda Magana, a second-year psychobiology student who lives on the Hill. “I’ve noticed it since the beginning of the year; maybe even last year too.”

The main sewer lines for most campus residence halls converge at the De Neve Drive and Sproul Circle Drive intersection, said UCLA spokeswoman Rebecca Kendall in an email statement.

The project will cost about $200 to $300 for each manhole cover, and if the problem persists, UCLA Facilities Management may seal more manhole covers, Kendall said.

Though Housing officials have received no formal complaints of any odors, there have been three informal complaints of odors over the past two years, as well as other informal complaints that were not recorded, Kendall said. She added that some policy review board meetings have included discussion about the smell.

Some students said they’ve noticed the odor during all their years on the Hill.

“Every year I’ve always noticed this smell, and I’ve always commented on it to friends,” said Jasmine Manoukian, a third-year psychobiology student who has lived on the Hill for three years.

However, Mark Grace, a first-year business economics student, said he doesn’t always notice the odor and is only sometimes bothered by it when he walks up De Neve Drive.

When Carnesale Commons, Sproul Cove Landing, Holly Ridge and Gardenia Way were constructed, workers increased Hill sewer lines from 8-inch pipes to 10-inch pipes to accommodate the increase in use.

Housing officials believed this change eliminated prior odor problems the Hill had experienced over the years, Kendall said.

Some students who live near the area said they have found the smell inconvenient, especially when they are walking across the Hill to eat meals.

“I try to use the stairs next to Covel more, and try to go up the Hill (on De Neve Drive) when it smells least,” said Belen Gomez, a third-year English student.

Ellie Ramler, a first-year biology student, said she also began to notice the odor at the start of the year. She said she was happy Housing officials are looking for a solution to the odors.

“I’m glad they’re doing something about the smell because I would avoid the stairs next to Sproul Cove,” she said.

After workers place the seals, Housing workers and Facilities Management will continue to monitor the area to see if the smells are gone, Kendall said.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.