Campus theater groups, students explore plays relevant to modern life

“Henry IV, Part I,” put on by the Shakespeare Company at UCLA and UCLA Residential Life, will star fourth-year English student Neda Dallal (left) and third-year theater student Ian Runge (right). The play will take place Friday and Saturday in the Northwest Campus Auditorium. (Max Himmelrich/Daily Bruin)

By Connie Zhou

The performing arts are often rose-tinted binoculars that probe into reality. Popular Italian opera “I Due Figaro”transmits a feminist message within a 19th century context. Rock musical “Next to Normal”sings about a family’s emotional battle with mental disorder. Last but not least, Shakespeare’s play “Henry IV Part I” paints an Odyssey of a young heir’s journey to true adulthood. 

TRANSCRIPT:

ZHOU: In the 21st century, people sought to portray real life issues through movies, TV shows and pop music. Performing arts groups try to voice their opinions on issues relating to the UCLA student body through traditional art forms such as opera, musical theatre and Shakespeare’s plays.

In the Freud playhouse, floral garlands and renaissance architecture adorned the central stage. Here, UCLA’s Division of Voice and Opera presented the West Coast Premiere of “I Due Figaro”. The opera was directed by Peter Kazaras, UCLA Professor of Operatic Studies.  

I Due Figaro”is about a mischievous servant who tries to swindle money from his employer. But his equally smart wife soon foils his fraudulent schemes.

Comfortably situated in an Schoenberg practice room, opera student Alexys Tiscareno, who plays Lady Inez in “I Due Figaro”, reflects on her appreciation of the feminist message of this 19th century opera.

Tiscareno: Countess, Susannah and Inez are just talking about how it is shameful that the men are taking over their lives and that they have brains and they as women will win. They refer themselves as the men but infinitely smarter. And it is just very empowering for women.

Kazaras: Opera is always intended as an entertainment. In some cultures and in recent centuries, opera is not only an entertainment for the masses, but it also has been viewed as something like the people’s right to attend. In this country, going to the opera is always something that is always treasured. It didn’t matter where you were sitting, but sort of claiming opera as an art form part of your heritage. This is something that I find rather inspiring.

ZHOU: “I Due Figaro”finished its two-week long performance run last weekend. However, other theatre groups on campus are also attempting to explore issues relevant to modern college life.

ZHOU: UCLA’s Act III Ensemble fervently prepares for the upcoming rock musical production “Next to Normal”. “Next to Normal”vividlyshowcases a mother’s struggle with mental disorder, a teenage girl’s desire for freedom and social acceptance, and a father’s desperation for a typical family life.

Theatre students Abby Faber, Katheryne Penny and Demi Pace register their thoughts on the modern day piece.

Faber: We were drawn to the idea of a contemporary production. I also think that we thought that a lot of the issues that were raised in the show, especially in terms of mental health and people coping with stressful situations, are really relevant to the student community and to college students in general. And we thought it would be a really good thing to explore issues that UCLA doesn’t really discuss.

Penny: Those types of musicals where it is the message more than the structure of the actual show really connects with people.

Pace: It is extremely important. An important story and an important message. It really does show the harsh reality of people with mental illness and how it affects everyday life. Which is something that is often overlooked.

ZHOU: The musical “Next to Normal”will be running from March 6th to March 7th in the Northwest Campus Auditorium. While Act III Ensemble explores issues related to modern college students through contemporary productions, the Shakespeare Company of UCLA discovers resonance to modern life in Shakespeare.

Theatre students Robert Watson and Will Block convey their understanding of the significance of this production to the UCLA student body.

Performed from February 27th to 28th in the Northwest campus auditorium, the play “Henry IV Part I”narrates the story of a royal heir discovering maturity and responsibility during social and political turmoil.

Watson: I think this play that Shakespeare has best.

Block: One of the things we want to do with Shakespeare plays is to make them vital. There is this preconception that Shakespeare is this dusty, academic museum piece. And really what they were at the time was popular entertainment. It is really challenging people’s perceptions on what Shakespeare is and what Shakespeare can be.

It is a very relatable story. It is about a boy learning what it is to be a man, a child learning to be an adult. We are all college students, we are all making mistakes, we are trying to figure out our places in the world. And I don’t think we could have picked a play that has been more relevant for a student to experience today.

ZHOU: Though nowadays technology plays a huge role in entertainment, traditional art forms such as opera, musicals and theatre are able to survive many generations largely because of their universal messages and proximity to reality. As these art forms evolve into mediums that connect people with reality, people are beginning to consider and appreciate the importance and irreplaceability of these traditional art forms.  For Daily Bruin Radio, this is Connie Zhou.

Connie Zhou