UCLA community members gauge interest in new late-night ride service

By Edward Pedroza

Two UCLA community members are looking for student feedback as part of a potential project to start a new late-night ride service for students.

Nihal Satyadev, a Westwood resident and former UCLA student, and Ian Cocroft, a third-year political science student, recently released an online survey to gauge the need for an additional ride-service program that would shuttle students to different areas in Westwood. The survey asks students questions about their experiences with needing rides, such as how often they find themselves two or more blocks from home and if they feel safe walking. Satyadev is the former Undergraduate Students Association Council General Representative 2, and Cocroft is chief of staff of the USAC President’s office, though the project is unrelated to USAC.

Satyadev said the program is in its early stages, and that the survey will decide how and if he and Cocroft will move forward with the project.

Other ride services, including university police’s Community Service Officers program, also provide evening van services to students, but Satyadev said he thinks the survey may give him insight into the demand for a new service, which could fill needs that current programs may not. The new service could potentially offer rides on additional days of the week or at later hours.

Compiled by Edward Pedroza, Bruin contributor.

Edward Pedroza