Softball enters season boasting talented freshmen, experienced veterans

Senior catcher Stephany LaRosa enters her senior season as a candidate for the USA Softball Player of the Year. Last year, LaRosa overcame a slow start to lead the Bruins in several offensive categories, including on-base and slugging percentage. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Taylor Hollowell

Every fan knows that a prominent question in sports is: “Is your team reloading or rebuilding?”

The UCLA softball team understands that the question is being asked because of its shortcomings last year.

Despite being the No. 3 overall seed in the NCAA tournament last year, UCLA lost two of three games to No. 14 seed Kentucky in the Super Regionals, missing out on a trip to the College World Series for the fourth straight year.

“If you don’t make it to the world series, it is unfinished business,” said senior catcher Stephany LaRosa. “You are recruited to come here to ultimately make it to the big game.”

The Bruins said a focal point this year is the experience the team carries over from last year’s squad.

“There’s more of an edge this year,” said coach Kelly Inouye-Perez. “They’re a little more focused, a little hungrier, with reason.”

The team, ranked No. 7 in the preseason poll, only lost two seniors from last year’s graduating class, and returns with most of its key contributors. One only needs to look at the senior class to see the depth this team has, including a pair of First Team All-Americans in LaRosa and pitcher Ally Carda.

Both Carda, who was one of three finalists for the 2014 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year, and LaRosa, who last year boasted a team-high .727 slugging percentage and .527 on-base percentage, have already been named to the USA Softball Player of the Year watch list.

“They’re a little more experienced,” Inouye-Perez said. “You add that experience with a talented freshmen class, and I believe it’s going to be a great year.”

One of the top-ranked recruiting classes in the country, this freshmen group has been the talk of the offseason for the Bruins. Those players include pitchers Selina Ta’amilo and Johanna Grauer, who Inouye-Perez said she would give the ball at any moment and on any stage.

“Our freshmen are ready to go, and we’re rallying behind them,” said junior outfielder Allexis Bennett. “They’re chomping at the bit to put their jersey on for the first time.”

Another player Inouye-Perez anticipates having a major role on the team is freshman utility Kylee Perez, who has shown the ability to play shortstop, third base, second base and any outfield position.

“Out there on the field, Kylee has proven to be one of our more versatile and valuable athletes,” Inouye-Perez said. “I can put her anywhere on the field.”

Inouye-Perez stated that versatility is something that the Bruins feel is one of their strongest attributes moving forward this year. It is also one of the reasons they don’t believe this season will be a rebuilding one.

“We never focus on what we’ve lost. It’s what we always do here at UCLA,” Inouye-Perez said. “We always reload.”

The Bruins will see if they have actually reloaded beginning Thursday, as they open their season at home against Idaho State in the So Cal Collegiate Classic.

Taylor Hollowell