USAC recap – Jan. 27
Jan. 27, 2015 9:57 p.m.
The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every week on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff Hall 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meeting on the USAC Live! Youtube channel.
- USAC approved an allocation of $3,200 from contingency funding with a vote of 8-0-3
- President Avinoam Baral and USAC Campus Events Commissioner Greg Kalfayan presented a draft of a resolution for the commemoration of the UCLA Freedom Riders. Baral said the council will discuss and vote on the resolution at next week’s meeting. Baral added there will also be a discussion panel with multiple UCLA Freedom Riders Feb. 8 in Royce Hall.
- Internal Vice President Heather Hourdequin said there will be an open forum for all students regarding one of the finalists for the new Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion on Jan. 29.
- External Vice President Conrad Contreras said Student Regent Sadia Saifuddin and Student Regent-Designate Avi Oved will host an open forum on Feb. 4 where students can learn about the work of the University of California Board of Regents. He also said Feb. 27 will be Campus Climate Legislative Day and that multiple local and state legislators will be on campus to meet with students and discuss issues of concern.
- Academic Affairs Commissioner Allyson Bach said the applications are open for the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Award, which awards one student and one faculty member $2,000. Bach also said more than 300 students participated in the Academic and Professional Resource Fair held Tuesday.
- Student Wellness Commissioner Savannah Badalich said her office is compiling demands for next month’s Campus Climate Legislative Day. Badalich said the main demand for legislators is a plan for comprehensive K-12 consent education. She also said free student registration is open for the All of Us Mental Health Matters conference that will be held Feb. 8.
Compiled by Joseph Vescera, Bruin contributor.