Broxton garage sees welcome increase in short-term parking spaces

The Broxton Avenue parking garage will have more short-term parking spots available starting in the spring.
(Daily Bruin file photo)

By

The original version of this article contained information that was unclear and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for more information.

The Los Angeles City Council passed a motion last month to reduce the number of long-­term parking spots in the Broxton Avenue public parking structure, increasing the availability of free short-­term parking in Westwood.

The motion includes an increase in the structure’s flat rate after 6 p.m. from $3 to $4 and the installation of smart meters, or meters that change their rates based on parking availability, on the street. Some city officials said they think the changes will make up for lost revenue they expect to come from less people paying for long-term parking.

Because of the resolution, the number of monthly passes available for Westwood business owners and their employees who want to park in the Broxton garage all day will be halved, opening more spaces for free two­-hour parking.

Some Westwood business owners said they think the change will be beneficial for both customers and workers.

Gail Friedman, who owns Sarah Leonard Fine Jewelers with her husband, said she approves of the change and thinks that she and her employees can find other long-term parking spots that are less expensive than the garage.

Clinton Schudy, who owns Oakley’s Barber Shop, said he also supports the motion.

“I think it will help all of us,” Schudy said. “More people can park their car there to come and get a haircut because there will be more spots.”

Some students also said they approve of the increase in short-term parking spots.

Law student Saad Hilo said he parks in the Broxton garage often, and he thinks it is cheaper and more convenient for him than trying to find parking on the street near his apartment.

“(Westwood) is a college town,” Hilo said. “A lot of students want to have spaces available for a short amount of time. A healthy balance (between long-term and short-term) would be best, for the employees and for the students.”

Steve Sann, chair of the Westwood Community Council and a business owner in the Village, said he thinks the Broxton garage was never intended for long-­term parking, but rather to encourage customers to frequent the businesses in Westwood Village.

“We’re very frustrated that it has taken the city so long to do this, that they’re only removing half of the long-­term parking, and that they’re raising the flat rate,” Sann said. “Even the fact that one space is being used for monthly parking is unacceptable.”

The Westwood Business Improvement District and Westwood Community Council have both advocated for keeping the flat rate the same for one year until the effects on revenue could be evaluated.

The motion will take effect in the spring.

Clarification: Both the BID and Westwood Community Council, not just the council, have advocated for keeping the flat rate the same.