Senate Democrats propose plan to keep in-state UC tuition flat

By Jeong Park

This article was updated at 8:59 p.m.

California Senate Democrats proposed Tuesday that the University of California increase its nonresident supplemental tuition by 17 percent for next year and up its enrollment by 5,000 students while keeping in-state tuition flat.

The proposal comes after the UC Board of Regents passed a policy in November that would increase tuition by up to 5 percent annually for the next five years unless the state provides significantly more funding to the University. The regents approved their November proposal arguing that state funding levels are not sufficient to maintain the quality of the UC.

California Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles), who announced the proposal, said the plan aims to give more California students an opportunity to receive a college education.

“This is not a reaction to the Board of Regents,” said de León in a press conference. “Every student in California deserves a shot at pursuing college degree.”

Under the senators’ new plan, nonresident supplemental tuition for out-of-state and international students would increase by 17 percent for the 2015-2016 year, with each nonresident student paying about $4,000 more in tuition. UC resident students currently pay about $12,000 in tuition and mandatory fees, while nonresidents pay about $35,000.

“California’s university system is one of the most premier higher education systems in the world and we should require that nonresidents pay a premium to attend it,” the proposal said.

About 13 percent of UC undergraduate students are nonresidents, up from 4 percent a decade ago. The UC started increasing its number of nonresident students as a way to raise revenue amid state funding cuts.

Some nonresidents said they were disappointed by the proposal, saying it would put an unfair financial burden on them and their families.

“I completely understand that this is a California system,” said Fabienne Roth, Undergraduate Students Association Council general representative and an international student. “But (the proposal) is completely outrageous and unfair. It pits international and out-of-state students against in-state students.”

Roth, who has called for a tuition freeze, said she thinks the increase in nonresident tuition would prevent lower- and middle-class nonresidents from enrolling in the UC.

Kevin Sabo, chair of UC Student Association Board of Directors, said he is not sure if the proposal addresses what he thinks is the fundamental problem: the state’s long-term disinvestment in higher education. 

“Obviously this is better than nothing. But … we shouldn’t have to have the dilemma of which students should be paying for the UC,” Sabo said.

The proposal would also increase state funding for the UC by $156 million for the 2015-2016 fiscal year, about $37 million more than what Gov. Jerry Brown is expected to provide in his budget for that year.

The plan would also cut all funding for the Middle Class Scholarship program that started this year, instead allocating the money to the University’s general fund. If the plan is implemented, no new students will receive the Middle Class Scholarship, although those who receive the scholarship currently will still get the grant. It would also provide funding for 7,500 additional competitive Cal Grant awards, as well as $25 million more for the UC to offer more courses for students. 

Patrick Murphy, a researcher at the nonpartisan think tank Public Policy Institute of California, said he thinks the proposal brings topics such as enrollment and financial aid into the tuition discussion.

“Senate discussion (isn’t) sitting on a binary question of raising tuition or getting more money from the state,” Murphy said. “Two weeks ago, that was the only way we talked about this.”

In 2012, former Speaker of the Assembly John Perez introduced the Middle Class Scholarship, which aims to fund up to 40 percent of tuition and fees for students whose families make less than $150,000 a year.

Murphy said that because Middle Class Scholarship is so new, he thinks there may not be a big backlash against cutting the scholarship.

Patti Colston, spokesperson for the California Students Aid Commission that administers the Cal Grant and Middle Class Scholarship, said the commission is currently reviewing the proposal. About 19,000 students in the UC receive an average of $1,100 from the Middle Class Scholarship, Colston said.

UC President Janet Napolitano said in a statement she thinks the plan is the start of discussions about maintaining the University’s affordability.

“The bill introduced today is a promising first step toward making sure that public higher education benefits Californians today and for generations to come,” Napolitano said in the statement.

Brooke Converse, UC spokesperson, said it’s too soon for the UC to offer further comment on the proposal, given that reviewing legislation is a lengthy process.

Brown’s office declined to comment on the proposal, saying the administration’s next steps will be outlined when Brown proposes his budget to the state legislature in January.

Brown may veto any bill passed in the legislature, although the legislature may override a veto by a two-thirds majority in the Assembly and the Senate. Democrats do not have a two-thirds majority in either chambers of the state legislature.

Contributing reports from Rafael Sands, Bruin contributor, and Emily Liu, Bruin reporter.

Jeong Park | Alumnus