Democrats snag local races, lose U.S. Senate

Congressman-elect Ted Lieu made a speech to his supporters in his election watching party Tuesday night. (Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

By Jeong Park

This article was updated at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.

While Republicans took control of  the House of Representatives and Senate after Tuesday’s midterm election, Democrats took control of the major local and state offices that represent Westwood and UCLA.

Gov. Jerry Brown also won his fourth term as California governor, according to the Associated Press.

As of 12:40 a.m., with about 72 percent of precincts reporting, Brown had 58 percent of the vote compared to Neel Kashkari’s 42 percent. However, the Associated Press called the race early because of exit poll results.

In his victory speech in front of the governor’s mansion, Brown, who ran for a fourth term after serving as governor during the 1970s and 1980s, said the state still has big challenges ahead.

“It’s about making work what we already set out,” he said. “I’m not under any illusions that this is some kind of picnic.”

During his concession speech in Costa Mesa, Kashkari thanked his volunteers and donors, saying that though he knew his race was a long shot, he ran a great campaign and will work to continue the commitments he made.

“I will do everything I can to help take our state forward,” he said. “I’m just getting warmed up.”

During his third term, Brown emphasized fiscal accountability when it came to higher education, raising state funding for the University of California steadily but not at the rate that the UC wanted. Kashkari called for the state to fund higher education according to performance measures such as graduation rates. He also called for the state to emphasize science, technology, engineering and mathematics education.

In other races, the Associated Press reported that Propositions 1, 2 and 47 have all passed.

Proposition 1 will allow the state to sell $7.5 billion in bonds for water projects. Proposition 2 will establish a reserve fund for the state, with 1.5 percent of the state’s general fund revenue going toward it. Proposition 47 will reduce criminal sentences for certain crimes, such as the possession of drugs for personal use and thefts of items worth less than $950.

As of 12:20 a.m., with about 70 percent of precincts reporting, 66.9 percent of voters supported Proposition 1, while 69.2 percent of voters supported Proposition 2. About 58 percent of voters supported Proposition 47.

According to the Associated Press, Proposition 46, which would have required certain physicians to undergo random drug and alcohol testing and increased medical malpractice lawsuit claim limits from $250,000 to about $1.1 million, failed.

As of 12:20 a.m., only about 32.5 percent of voters had voted in favor of Proposition 46, well below the 50 percent needed for its passage.

Proposition 45,which would have given the state insurance commissioner the power to approve changes to healthcare insurance rates, had support from about 40 percent of voters as of 12:20 a.m.Proposition 48, which would have allowed the Wiyot tribe andthe North Fork Rancheria of Mono Indians to build a casino away from the reservation, had support from about 40 percent of voters as well.

County Measure P, which would have extended a $23 parcel tax to fund L.A. County parks and other items, failed to reach the two-thirds minimum to pass.

In local races, state Sen. Ted Lieu led Elan Carr57percent to 43 percent as of 12:20 a.m., with 38 percent of precincts reporting.Lieu, a Democrat, competed with Carr, a Republican, for California’s 33rd Congressional District, which includes Westwood. The Associated Press called the race for Lieu at 11:40 p.m. Tuesday.

“I’m grateful and humbled to have received the strong support of the voters throughout our beautiful district,” Lieu said in a statement released Wednesday. “Yesterday’s election was a difficult one for Democrats across the country, and it’s more critical than ever that members of Congress stand up for our core values, including defending a woman’s right to choose and protecting Social Security and Medicare.”

In the 26th state Senate district race between two Democratic candidates, Ben Allen was leading Sandra Fluke 61 percent to 39 percent as of 12:20 a.m. Wednesday, with about 41 percent of precincts reporting. In the 54th District state Assembly race, incumbent Democrat Sebastian Ridley-Thomas was leading Republican Glen Ratcliff 77 percent to 23 percent as of 12:20 a.m., with about 46 percent of precincts reporting. As of 1:20 a.m., the Los Angeles Times called the race for Ridley-Thomas.

In the race for the 3rd District seat on the nonpartisan Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, Sheila Kuehl was leading Bobby Shriver 53 percent to 47 percent as of 12:20 a.m., with about 31 percent of precincts reporting.

Also, as election results continue to roll in from across the nation, the Republican party has gained a majority in the Senate, winning seven seats currently held by Democrats so far.

Republicans have secured 53 Senate seats, eight more than the Democrats. Republicans took seats away from Democrats in Montana, Colorado, South Dakota, Iowa, Arkansas, West Virginia, North Carolina and Alaska, according to The New York Times. The race in Virginia may be headed for a recount, while the race in Louisiana is headed to a runoff scheduled for Dec. 6.

Before the election, the 100-seat Senate was composed of 53 Democrats, two independents who caucus with the Democrats and 45 Republicans. Of the 36 seats that were contested during this election, 21 were held by Democrats and 15 by Republicans. Seven of these incumbent Senate members are retiring, and one is resigning in early 2015.

In the House of Representatives, 244 Republicans and 180 Democrats have been elected, with 1 more seat left to be determined as of 2:25 p.m. Wednesday.  The Republicans have passed the 218-seat threshold for a majority, holding their largest majority since the 1940s, according to the New York times.

In the House of Representatives, 241 Republicans and 174 Democrats have been elected, with 20 more seats left to be determined as of 1:55 a.m. The Republicans have passed the 218-seat threshold for a majority.

Before the election, the House consisted of 201 Democrats and 234 Republicans.

President Barack Obama and future Republican Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell, addressed the results of the election on Wednesday. McConnell vowed to make the Senate more productive, and Obama outlined proposals that he plans to send to Congress before the winter recess concerning Ebola, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria and the budget. Both promised to work together on points where they agreed, but acknowledged that they would disagree from time to time.

“Congress will pass some bills I cannot sign. I’m pretty sure I’ll take some actions that some in Congress will not like. That’s natural. That’s how our democracy works,” Obama said.

Contributing reports by Emily Liu, Ryan Leou and River Sween, Bruin contributors.

Jeong Park | Alumnus