The Graduate Students Association is the voice of graduate students on campus. The association meets for forum every three weeks and takes positions on current issues affecting graduate students. Forum meetings are at 5:30 p.m. in the Ackerman Viewpoint Lounge.
- Student representatives from various graduate and professional schools talked with members of a search committee about the qualifications for the new vice chancellor of equity, diversity and inclusion.
- GSA approved a two-week-long election calendar to fill the vice president of internal affairs position. The election will last Nov. 4-12.
- Forum approved an interim discretionary budget based on last year’s budget. GSA President Michael Hirshman said officers will not know their surplus from last year until early November. The budget will be revisited and discussed during their next meeting on Nov. 12.
- Michael Hirshman, GSA president, said he plans to work with UCLA Transportation to change some Big Blue Bus routes so they run closer to graduate student housing. He said he also wants to increase workers’ compensation for graduate students working on campus, and wants to coordinate efforts with the Career Center to extend its services to Ph.D students who cannot gain access while they file their Ph.Ds.
- Andrés Schneider, GSA vice president of external affairs, said he will be working with international students to get them more engaged with GSA programming this year.
- Ivy Onyeador, GSA vice president of academic affairs, said she plans to reach out to graduate students for their input about the vice chancellor of equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Forum unanimously approved four stipended appointment nominations, the Campus Policy and Chancellor’s Advisory Committees appointments and 14 Academic Senate positions.
Complied by Kendal Mitchell, Bruin staff.