‘It’s On Us UCLA’ series aims to encourage dialogue on sexual assault

Savannah Badalich (left) and Chrissy Keenan (right) organized a photo series aimed at sparking conversations about ending sexual assault on college campuses. Sina Famenini (center) is one of the participants in the project. (Angie Wang/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Kendal Mitchell

The original version of the photo caption accompanying this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for more information.

Royce Hall’s iconic tile walls blurs around Sina Famenini’s face as he stares intently into the camera. His direct and somber gaze echoes the similar expressions of 30 other subjects, who all posed to show support for survivors of sexual assault.

Famenini, an Undergraduate Students Association Council Student Wellness Commission executive board member and a fourth-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student, said he decided to lend his face to a photo series aimed at sparking conversations about ending sexual assault on college campuses.

Bold letters on a teal band behind his head and under his chin spell out the phrase, “It’s On Us to take action, not watch in silence.”

Famenini’s portrait is part of the “It’s On Us UCLA” photo series, which launched last week. Twenty photos have already been published on Facebook and BuzzFeed. Organizers of 7000 in Solidarity, a UCLA student group that educates students about sexual assault on college campuses, will release new photos online every other day until Friday, said Chrissy Keenan, a campaign manager of 7000 in Solidarity and a third-year human biology and society student.

It’s On Us UCLA was inspired by the White House’s national It’s On Us campaign, said Savannah Badalich, USAC Student Wellness commissioner and a campaign manager of 7000 in Solidarity.

It’s On Us aims to help teach individuals to recognize the difference between consensual and nonconsensual sex, be an effective bystander and create a national community where survivors feel supported. On its website, anyone can sign a pledge, watch videos about ending sexual assault and get advice about how to intervene in a case of a potential sexual assault.

Famenini said he chose the phrase on his photo after listening to Badalich and Keenan speak about what it means to be an effective bystander. He then began to research how men can effectively intervene in a potentially unsafe situation.

“Even if (you) are not directly associated with sexual assault, it’s up to us to stop perpetuating rape culture,” said Famenini.

Famenini said he thinks the White House’s campaign increases the visibility of sexual assault prevention initiatives, and he likes how the It’s On Us UCLA photo series connects directly to the UCLA community.

“(The It’s On Us UCLA series) helps apply the national message to a local context,” Famenini said.

The subjects of the photos, while differing in gender, ethnicity and age, all stand in the focal point of their respective photographs. The blurred outlines of green foliage and red tiles draw viewers’ eyes to the close-mouthed and solemn expression of each individual and to the bold printed letters.

Each portrait was purposefully styled to create a separation between the subject and his or her background, said Faizan Ghori, the photographer for the campaign and a former Daily Bruin A&E; writer.

The fourth-year Middle Eastern studies and international development studies student said he wanted the viewer to feel a personal connection with each subject because they are all figures on campus.

“We wanted the photos to show how the subject is not afraid to show (his or her) face,” Badalich said.

In an effort to continue conversations about sexual assault started by 7000 in Solidarity last year, Badalich said she wanted to reach out to the UCLA community through the art campaign early in the year to keep an open dialogue between students, administrators and parents.

Several subjects approached Badalich about getting involved with a photo series after seeing #AlcoholIsNotConsent, a photo series published last year, she added.

“I wanted (students) to see the photo and see someone like (them), (someone) they admire and respect,” Badalich added.

Subjects in the photos include UCLA students and parents. Badalich said her parents volunteered to pose for the photos to show the conversations about sexual assault do not end on college campuses.

The phrase, “It’s On Us to support survivors of all ages” stretches under the chin of Cyndi Badalich, Savannah Badalich’s mother. She said she hopes her portrait will show that any person, regardless of age, may have either a direct or indirect experience with sexual assault in his or her past.

Cyndi Badalich said she learned about her daughter’s sexual assault last year. After talking with her daughter, Cyndi Badalich said she began to reach out to more people who opened up about how sexual assault impacts their lives.

“When you send your child away to school, you want to educate them as much as you can and have them realize other people weren’t raised like you and think they can do whatever they want,” Cyndi Badalich said. “(It’s On Us UCLA) opens people’s eyes and gets them talking.”

For the first set of photos, Badalich said she wanted to introduce the series with a broad representation of students. But she said she plans to continue the photo series for the rest of the year, creating a theme each time around specific campus demographics, such as student-athletes, administrators and international students.

“We want every face to be shown,” she said. “We want to talk about each individual’s place in the grand scheme (of sexual assault prevention).”

Correction: Famenini is a participant in the “It’s On Us UCLA” project.

Kendal Mitchell