Ashe Center services moved to Bruin Plaza after flood

Physicians are available for students in Bruin Plaza, after the Ashe Center closed due to flooding. (Sam Hoff / Daily Bruin)

By Daily Bruin

July 30, 2014 11:20 a.m.

The Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center building is closed Wednesday and does not have electricity after Tuesday’s flood.

Physicians are available in Bruin Plaza and the UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center to treat students, said John Bollard, chief of administrative services at the Ashe Center.

A physician is doing triage for students in Bruin Plaza, and a suite of exam rooms is set up for student use with two additional physicians at the medical center.

Because the Ashe Center does not have internet, workers do not have access to electronic medical records, he added. Officials have redirected the center’s phone lines to a command center in the Ashe optometry store in Ackerman Union.

Counseling services also has a table in Bruin Plaza and space in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource Center for students to speak to counselors, Bollard said.

The Ashe Center may open floors two through four and start running its services normally again on Thursday, Bollard said. He added that the first floor of the center, which includes the radiology department, is likely to remain closed because it was covered by several inches of water.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin