USAC recap – July 22
July 23, 2014 12:35 a.m.
The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government of UCLA’s undergraduate students. During summer, council meetings take place biweekly on Tuesdays at 8 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meeting on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.
- The council approved contingency programming allocations with a 6-0-0 vote.
- The council voted to add another meeting July 29 because USAC President Devin Murphy said they need to get through all the appointments before certain orientation dates.
- The council approved Stephanie Wong, a third-year business economics student, to be the Finance Committee vice chair and interim chair with a 6-0-0 vote.
- The council approved Addrita Das, a second-year psychobiology student, to the ASUCLA Communications Board with a 5-1-0 vote.
- The council approved Justine Pascual, a fourth-year human biology and society student, to the budget review director position with a 6-0-0 vote.
- The council did not approve Stephanie Farokhi, a fourth-year political science student, to the Campus Programs Committee with a 2-3-1 vote.
- The council approved Altagracia Alvarado, a second-year Afro-American studies and gender studies student, to the Campus Programs Committee with a 6-0-0 vote.
- The council approved Varun Bhadha, a third-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student, to the Community Activities Committee with a 5-0-1 vote.
- The council approved Vlad Stoicescu-Ghica, a fourth-year political science student, to the Community Activities Committee with a 6-0-0 vote.
- The council approved Shagun Kabra, a third-year mathematics/economics student, to the Election Board chair position with a 6-0-0 vote.
- USAC President Murphy said he met with Debra Simmons, ASUCLA student government accounting manager, about implementing some changes regarding the council’s budget and its Student Organizations Operational Fund. Murphy said he is meeting with UCLA officials and others Thursday about moving forward with plans for Cafe Powell. He said he will be a part of a statewide conference call on July 28 with the University of California president and others to discuss sexual assault prevention and college affordability. Murphy said the ASUCLA Board of Directors meeting is Friday in Kerckhoff Grand Salon. He said he met with Raja Bhattar, director of the UCLA Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Campus Resource Center, about how to increase the student advocacy efforts regarding a student’s sexual orientation and gender identity. He told councilmembers to arrange a one-on-one meeting with him and Student Wellness Commissioner Savannah Badalich to identify ways each member’s office can get involved in the campus-wide mental health campaign.
- Internal Vice President Avinoam Baral said his office made 3,000 fliers about USAC and the council’s application process for all the transfer student orientation packets.
- External Vice President Conrad Contreras said he wants to connect the External Vice President’s office with statewide labor issues. He said he has sent out the acceptances for UC Student Association and United States Student Association applicants.
- A proxy for Academic Affairs Commissioner Allyson Bach said she’s reached out to pre-professional organizations to arrange events that will help students with post-graduate opportunities.
Compiled by Samantha Tomilowitz, Bruin senior staff.