Joint election for transfer student rep, Gen Rep 2 to be held in fall

By Daily Bruin

June 25, 2014 12:11 a.m.

A special election will be held in the fall for two undergraduate student government seats, a general representative and transfer student representative.

The joint election was approved unanimously at Tuesday’s Undergraduate Students Association Council meeting.

At the meeting, councilmembers agreed to keep the two remaining general representatives in their current posts. Fabienne Roth will continue as General Representative 3 instead of becoming General Representative 2, because she has already branded her office on social media.

Councilmembers decided to combine the two elections instead of holding a special election for the general representative seat within 15 days of the position becoming vacant, as was required by the USAC constitution.

The general representative seat opened up after General Representative 2 Nihal Satyadev resigned on June 12 for personal reasons.

USAC President Devin Murphy said he wanted to move the general representative election to the fall because it would cost about $5,000 to hold it in the summer. He added that elections during the regular school year allow more students to be engaged in the voting process.

The transfer student representative seat was approved by the undergraduate student body in the spring USAC election. USAC councilmembers approved changes to proposed bylaws for the transfer student referendum Tuesday night.

Dates for the fall election have not been set. Murphy said he is still searching for an Election Board chair, who organizes USAC elections.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin