Napolitano meets with UC sustainability advisory group

By Jeong Park

The original version of this article contained information that was unclear and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for more information.

After announcing a series of initiatives to make the University of California more sustainable, UC President Janet Napolitano met for the first time Monday with her advisory group on sustainability.

The group discussed in a closed meeting how the UC can reach its goal of carbon neutrality by 2025 and how the group can support initiatives already happening at different campuses, said Shelly Meron, UC spokeswoman.

When announcing the initiative in November, the UC said it plans to urge its campuses to increase its usage of renewable energy and use energy more efficiently. The initiative includes reducing water usage by 20 percent by 2020, producing zero waste by 2020 and managing a center to purchase and develop alternative energy, among other goals.

The UC Global Climate Leadership Council has 27 members, including UC officials, students and other experts. One regent, who has not been selected, will also serve in the group.

Members of the advisory group who work at UCLA include Ann Carlson, an environmental law professor at the UCLA School of Law, David Feinberg, president of the UCLA Health System, and Jack Powazek, administrative vice chancellor at UCLA. Powazek directed the development of UCLA’s climate action plan in 2008.

In an annual sustainability report filed in January, UCLA reported its greenhouse gas emissions increased by 7.7 percent in 2012. However, the university said it plans to meet the goal of having a 1990 level of greenhouse gas emissions by 2020 through energy conservation and other abatement measures. UCLA receives about $2 to $3 million annually for carbon allowances for its emissions from the California Air Resources Board, funds it spends on emissions reduction measures.

Meron said it is not yet determined when the group will meet again.

Compiled by Jeong Park, Bruin senior staff.

Clarification: UCLA receives $2 to $3 million annually from the California Air Resources Board to spend on emissions reduction measures.

Jeong Park | Alumnus