UC, UAW Local 2865 reach agreement, avert finals week strike

By camayak

The University of California has reached a tentative contract bargaining agreement with a union representing academic student employees, avoiding a systemwide strike planned for next week.

The UC Student-Workers Union, UAW Local 2865, represents more than 12,000 teaching assistants and other University academic student employees. The union has been in contract negotiations with the UC for almost a year and also went on a strike for two days in April.

The contract will end in 2018 and give union workers a 16 percent wage increase over four years, as well as increased childcare assistance and access to lactation facilities.

“Both sides worked hard (to reach an agreement),” said Dwaine Duckett, UC vice president of human resources, in a press release. “We’re even more pleased that our students will finish the school year without any more unnecessary disruptions.”

Caroline McKusick, a volunteer activist at UC Davis and member of UAW 2865, said union members are happy about the agreement because it includes clauses such as one that says workers and management members will have two meetings per year at each campus in the future.

“We have gotten a lot of historic things (in the contract),” McKusick said. “This will be an inspiration for other unions.”

Leading up to the contract, the UC and the union could not reach an agreement on wages for workers, class sizes and gender-inclusive bathrooms. The union sought to increase wages, decrease class sizes and create more gender-inclusive restrooms on campuses.

Union members also said they think the UC committed a number of unfair labor practices prior to the agreement. The union claimed the UC refused to negotiate on decreasing class sizes and that it intimidated several union members about going on strike.

University officials denied that the UC engaged in unfair practices and intimidated union members.

This agreement leaves just one union in the UC – the Union of Physicians and Dentists – without a contract agreement. The UC has reached agreements with 10 other bargaining units within the past eight months.

Compiled by Jeong Park, Bruin contributor.

camayak